Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Case knives  (Read 5666 times)
radicat
Trade Count: (0)
« on: February 09, 2007, 03:23:55 AM »

Welcome.     

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 05:25:17 PM by radicat » Logged
Harold Locke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 01:28:11 AM »

Just wanted to share some pics of a 20 year old Case XX 4185 that I picked up at a Knife and Gun show this morning. A single bladed Doctor pattern. White synthetic scales. They look like a nice aged Ivory color.

Case couldn't let me get much info about seeing I didn't want to join the Collectors Club at this time.

Anyone know anything.

* single blade case doc 2.jpg (77.91 KB, 500x406 - viewed 320 times.)

* single blade case doc.jpg (90.64 KB, 450x338 - viewed 309 times.)
radicat
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 04:45:59 AM »

Nice knife. Can you tell us more about any marks on it? I'm not an expert, but others will ask.

Doctor's knives are very collectible. The flat butt-end for crushing pills and powders, the long blade for counting pills and of digging out foreign objects like bird-shot. LOL
Harold Locke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 12:50:31 PM »

Clay,

The only special markings are above the stamp Case xx is ( star dot star dot) and below (star dot star dot star) on the back is  1. USA  2. 4185 3.SS.

The Shield is Case in an oval, no XX. The white delrin is in great shape and looks like Ivory. Most of the Doc's I've seen are two bladed and this is single without the flat blade for pill separation or tongue depressor. OH Yeah. The blade has never been sharpened and is still razor sharp.

That's all I've noticed. I think it came from an estate sale on the back of the box it has the name Aunt Leatha.

Harold Locke
radicat
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 06:51:34 PM »

Thanks Harold. It shouldn't be hard to find out more about this one. I came close to buying a doctor's pattern at a show a couple of years ago. The maker Yellowhorse had tricked it out with cellulose scales and engravings. I remember it to be a little over two-hundreds dollars. It was a new knife.    Clay
Harold Locke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 09:24:18 PM »

Well, I would be happy if it was worth the money I paid for it. An art purveyour that was at the show, who didn't know much about the manufactured knife market felt is was at least worth what I paid. I do to because I wanted a doctor pattern and I like to carry a small pocket in addition to any working cuttting tool I carry.

Other information I know. The Case inclosed flyer and box both have Copyright dates of 1998.

If I was an avid collector of Case knives I would fork over the $25 and join the Collectors Club. I was informed via the web page that in order to access that info I would have to join.

Oh well, you never know, Its my first case knife. There might be more in my life.

Harold Locke
jonet143

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 04:28:36 AM »

hey harold, nice knife. having the dot-star marks (9 total)  you describe would date that knife as a 2001. case began using that dating system in 2000.
radicat
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 05:18:31 AM »

Welcome to the forum jonet143. And, thanks for the info for Harold.           Clay
K Salonek
Crow Valley Forge

Kevin Salonek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 07:50:58 AM »

Not a collector here, just paying my respects.

Having one, and using and seeing a few thought the years in hunting camps, I will say that Case is a fine maker. Worthy of collecting!

Every Case I ever used, as over the counter knives are concerned, are a cut above!

Pictured are a couple of my now retired hunting knives/now test knives.

Regardless what you do, or how you sharpen them, this 'Case' will always give you one more cut then the Buck. Considering that the Case was made (maybe?) around the late 60's - early 70's (?) and the Buck around the early - mid 90's , I call that an achievement,,,Bucks are fair cutters!

Harold Locke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 02:08:39 PM »

Jonet143,

Sounds like the box that the knife came in might might not be the original box. Or Case just had alot of the boxes printed up interesting.

Now I have to say it is only 7-8 years old.

Thanks,

Harold Locke
jonet143

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 02:32:29 AM »

hey harold, 7 or 20, it's a very nice little case. the new  boxes original to the knife from case usually have the production date on the end. sfo's might come in a generic case box or after market presentation boxes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: