Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Oil forge?  (Read 2782 times)
Mike_H
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2009, 11:44:01 PM »

I just found it on youtube:
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1XHsZKkUeXQ" width="425px" height="350px" AllowScriptAccess="never" quality="high" wmode="transparent" /><noembed><object codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/1XHsZKkUeXQ" width="425px" height="350px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1XHsZKkUeXQ" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" /><param name="pluginspage" value="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></object>

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 11:56:55 PM by Mike_H » Logged
spaknives

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 04:52:05 AM »

Wow! Very interesting I never thought oil would burn hot enough. That is a pretty cool concept.

Mike_H

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 12:18:18 PM »

I know, it surprised me when I watched it for the first time.
J Anderson R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 05:28:19 PM »

Id heard of one of these but never seen one in action. Pretty cool, but a little too scary for me, Il stick with my propane Grin. Welcome to the forum!!

Josh Anderson

"We find comfort among those who agree with us- growth among those who dont"- Frank A Clark
Mike_H

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 09:01:57 PM »

Yeah, no need for dragon's fire when a torch does the same thing. Grin
JimmyR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 07:21:03 AM »

scary indeed, but I like the idea of an alternative to the norm; it could lead to something interesting.
Mike_H

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 11:39:08 AM »

yeah, he's been playing around with to to make it more efficient ya'll should see his newest videos on the subject.  It's like a flame thrower!
Mike_H

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 12:40:46 AM »

Ya know, I really wonder what Ed's thoughts on ths thing is.  How about it Ed, share please?
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 04:20:52 AM »

I see it gets very hot! Much too hot to forge blades without growing grain. I wonder how controllable it is? I can set my propane forge at the exact temperature I want without any hassle. Talking to Eldon last week, he put regulators on each burner of his Mankel propane forge and really likes the control he can achieve.

I forged two blades today and with the exception of the first heat which takes longer to get the steel up to forging temp left virtually no slag on my anvil or power hammers. This is the goal, controlled heat and knowing the correct temperature.

Just looking at his set up it looks like a lot of work, personally I would rather be working steel.

Each one of us has their goals, our interests vary. The man who introduced me to the ideals of the forged blade got hooked working on power hammers. He has rebuilt many hammers to very tight specks and the last time I talked to him had not forged a blade.

I have another friend who is working on building a solar forge! Been at it for years and has learned a lot - he heats his house with solar stuff he has built and done it using very little money.  He does not intend to forge with his invention when he gets it done, just wants to be able to make one.

There is nothing wrong with him doing it his way, he may very well come up with the ideal forge that will be of benefit to many.

I sincerely appreciate your posting the video up, thank you - I found it very interesting!

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Mike_H

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »

Not a problem Ed, and thank you for posting your thoughts on it.    Jeez, a solar forge?!  I wonder how that would work and if it would work really.  Mind expanding on that one a bit Ed?
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 02:43:57 PM »

All I know is what he has told me.
When he was a little kid he was intrigued when he was able to start a fire with a magnifying glass and has been playing with it since that time - about 50 years.  Instead of gathering solar energy over a large area (big panels) he starts with a large collector and concentrates the energy much like the magnifying glass. I have not seen it, but this is his basic premise.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Mike_H

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 11:44:06 PM »

Interesting, though I'm not sure it could heat steel to forging temp but I could be wrong.  Thanks.
caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 06:17:19 AM »

I like the oil forge idea, at this  point is just seems like it needs some refinement. You don't have enough control of the atmosphere to be efficient for blades. I think with a more refined system, like a fuel injector  type to vaporize it, it might work really good. They have it for running cars off used oil so the technology is out there. Neat stuff to say the least.

Don't take life to seriously, you'll never make it out alive.  - Van Wilder
gmusic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 04:17:35 AM »

Very cool!

I've made waist oil heaters for shops, same principal..........it never dawned on me to try to fire a forge with oil.  Thanks for posting it.

Knives are man's best fiend............

www.musicmadeknives.com
jared williams

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 02:26:54 PM »

i was interested in this a while back and i found a guy on the web who does a lot of casting using an oil forge to melt his aluminum,bronze and sometimes steel. his set up was really efficient. he had an oil preheater set up that heated up the oil just before it entered the forge and it was closer to vapor when it entered the forge. he had a lot less flame and much more control with his forge than the one pictured. i still may build one sometime if i get an itch to scratch......but for now i would rather make knives Grin
www.backyardmetalcasting.com  here's a link to some interesting stuff, scroll down to waste oil burners. this guy has a good one

When the student is ready the teacher will appear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: