Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: bonding adhesives and brass stock  (Read 2539 times)
JimmyR
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2009, 07:01:29 AM »

acraglas is expensive stuff! Do you guys know of a comparable alternative? I'm going to use the adhesive for gluing in my tangs.

Also, could you guys tell me the dimensions of the brass stock you use?    

spaknives

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »

I have used devcon 2 ton epoxy in the past for gluing in tangs, But it is no where as tough as acraglass. I will still use devcon 5min epoxy on full tang handle slabs, but then they are pinned and peened also. Hope that helps, Shane

spaknives

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 02:48:16 PM »

OH barstock! As far as bar stock goes are you forging it or doing stock removal?? On stock remonal you basicaly match the barstock to the size of knife you want to make. I use any where from 5/32" to 1/4" thick leangth and width depends on the knife. These other guys can probley tell you better about forging bar stock demensions. Shane

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 03:49:18 PM »

On my larger knives I use 3/4 inch square brass stock, then graduate down to 5/8ths square stock for yearlings and 1/2 inch square stock for Gentleman's pronghorns. I also have some smaller 1/4 inch square stock for fawns.

Acra Glass seems expensive, but works out pretty cheap when you figure how many knives you can put together with it - and it is versatile, you can thin it down, add water soluble dye and it will penetrate into porous material. It is the best I have used and very consistent.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
gmusic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 05:50:31 PM »

With the style handle I make (stacked washer) I'm finding Acra Glass is cost prohibitive.  I apply epoxy to each washer while making the stack, then the slot in the butt cap is filled, fitted and clamped.  After it dries I drill and pin the butt cap.

Ed......do you think I can thin the Acra Glass and get the same results?  What would I use for a thinner?

I like handling the way I do though because I can shape the grip to fit the hand and use a number of tough and durable materials, it's just time consuming slotting each washer to fit the tang.

Knives are man's best fiend............

www.musicmadeknives.com
spaknives

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 07:15:25 PM »

Oh Duh!! I thought it said bar stock, But now I see it says brass stock. Sorry!

Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 04:19:25 AM »

Brownells makes a thinner for their acra glass, I don't know if it would be better than what you are using - you will just have to experiment. The way you do it looks good and if it seals adequately I would stick with it.

I found a Scagel stuck in an aspen tree in a remote area, the blade was solid rust, the leather all but weathered away I have no idea how long it had been there, but a long time.

Presently I purchase my brass stock from Enco, they have a web site, but I have not made any comparison to their prices for a long time. They are good folks to work with.

JimmyR

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 07:28:41 AM »

ok good good. This is the info I need. Thank you everyone.

Ed, the only acraglas I can afford right now is the 4 ounce bottle mix. Is that enough to handle in a few knives?

I suppose I will go with the 3/4 inch brass stock, considering the size of my knife.
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 04:16:56 PM »

Jimmy:
The supplier is Bob Brownells 1-800-741-0015, brownells.com. I buy the 120 oz resin and 30 oz hardener package when I buy. They also sell the thinner. I use trewax for my release agent when I need it which is very rarely. I buy the thinner a quart at a time.

I use a 3 cc syringe to measure my hardener and a 5 cc syringe to measure my resin. They are good folks to work with.

The small package you mentioned should be enough for several knives.

spaknives

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 10:19:34 PM »

When I saw Ed use the syringe at the willow bow I thought " damn that is a good idea"! I have found that accraglass goes a lot farther than expected, (compared to other epoxies I have used). The first time I used accraglass I mixed up what I thought would be just enough to do one knife and I had enough left over to do probly 2 more knives. But I havn't made a lot of hidden tang knives so I am no professional. Shane

JimmyR

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 04:17:38 AM »

So then I will get a few knives then out of 4 ounces? That's good to know. Thank you guys for the information.
cfendley

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 03:08:58 AM »

Just saw this so I'm a little late but I have to add the acra-glass is some absolute tough stuff. I mix it in small cups and try to have about three knives at a time to glue up to keep from wasting. I like the syringe idea, thanks Ed, I'm not sure why I haven't done that before.

Jimmy, for glueing up washers or slabs on full tang knives I use Lock-tite E120. I have done some pretty serious testing of adhesives and I think it is the best at glueing things together, better than Acra-glass for that application. Acra-glass is the best at filling any little void and holding a handle on a hidden tang knife because that stuff is tough and does not shrink.

Acra-glass and the E120 were the ones that also won out on the epoxy wars thread on knifenetworks a couple years ago.

Also for anyone using the Devcon, I never use the 2 ton, for some reason the 5 minute is stronger than the 2 ton. Not sure how Devcon came with their numbers on that. The Devcon 5 minute is plenty strong for knife construction if you have pins also holding the handle or a screw on pomel. I've been using a full tang knife filet knife for 4 years now that is used nearly every day and is used when butchering all our deer every year with no problems.

In my testing when the Devcon gave up was going from cold to the dishwasher, thats when the Locktite E120 showed its strengths.

JimmyR

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 04:14:52 AM »

cfendley, your input was very valuable, I'm glad you did decide to chime in. I will have to check out this Locktite stuff too.
Mike_H

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 02:34:42 AM »

I'm using Loctite's Instant-mix epoxy.  Fixed a knife handle with it already and works great and it's found in any wal-mart.   Which is a bonus for me cause I work in the hardware department so I can make sure we have it in stock and I get it at a 10% employee discount too. Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: