Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: My summer restoration project/ What A Score!!  (Read 3635 times)
J Anderson R
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2009, 01:17:26 PM »

Hey everybody. Just wanted to show some pics of my latest project. An old blacksmith called me and sold me this Mayer Bros. Trip hammer for $125!! I need to take the clutch apart and get the rust out but everything turns freely. If anybody sees anything thats missing (other than the motor) please let me know. I wanted to set this up for v-belts but I dont know if it will work or not. Thanks for looking, any advice is appriciated as this is my first trip hammer. Also any general info on the machine would be appriciated as well. Cant wait to make some short work of some round bar Grin

* DSCN6722.JPG (74.71 KB, 591x444 - viewed 133 times.)

* DSCN6723.JPG (83.44 KB, 564x423 - viewed 116 times.)

* DSCN6724.JPG (63.17 KB, 564x423 - viewed 107 times.)

* DSCN6726.JPG (53.02 KB, 564x423 - viewed 110 times.)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:32:04 PM by J Anderson R » Logged

Josh Anderson

"We find comfort among those who agree with us- growth among those who dont"- Frank A Clark
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 03:51:09 PM »

The man you want to talk to is Harlan Seudemier, he has a web site called "Little Giant" he can tell you all about it. Harlan is one of our top citizens, a good man, knowledgeable and a man I call friend.
Phone # 402-873-6603.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
J Anderson R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 03:58:22 PM »

Thanks for the tip Ed, Il be sure to give him a call. I heard a rumor that Little Giant still carries replacement parts for most of the hammer models...

Josh Anderson

"We find comfort among those who agree with us- growth among those who dont"- Frank A Clark
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 04:16:06 PM »

I am insanely jealous: !!!! That is one beautiful hammer, she does not look like she has been used hard and should respond to a loving hand tempered with the knowledge of Sid.

Congradulations on a great find!

I would dearly love to work some steel down on her, if only for a few moments. What joy awaits you!

She is a very early hammer, Sid can tell you when she was made.

Where do you Live?

caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 04:33:16 PM »

That is cool !  I have never seen one set up like that! Is it a 25# or a 50#, should say on the large wheel, I'm jealous to that is a find !

Don't take life to seriously, you'll never make it out alive.  - Van Wilder
J Anderson R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 04:42:31 PM »

Ed-Im in Fairmont Mn right on 1-90, you are welcome anytime my friend. She sat outside for the last 3 years because the previous owner ran out of storage room, but the rust is nothing a quick sandblasting and some oil and TLC wont cure. I found it interesting that she was made in Mankato MN, which is only 40 miles from my home, and I picked it up 60 miles away, but the guy I bought it from had to travel halfway across the country to get it. I had never seen a model like this but she was treated well in her last life and I plan on giving her a great future. I think they old man was a little sad to see her go Cry. He had run a blacksmith shop back in the 30s and 40s and this and a bigger version were his work horses, but when the new and "improved" hammers came out this got used less and less, but she still worked like a charm the day she was retired from service. God Bless old American machinery, built simple, built tough.

Calvin- I was told the hammer insert only weighs about 10lbs, but I dont know how they classify them. I didnt see any markings on the wheels, just says " Mayer Bros, Mankato Mn. Its not a huge unit, but itll go alot faster and harder then my arm and shoulder could.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 04:45:39 PM by J Anderson R » Logged

Josh Anderson

JimmyR

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 11:52:02 PM »

oh wow! I had no idea a power hammer could look like that. What a splendid find indeed.
gmusic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 10:28:51 AM »

Very cool Anderson!

I can hardly wait to see the finished project.

Knives are man's best fiend............

www.musicmadeknives.com
J Anderson R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 10:36:53 AM »

Thanks! I havent talked to Sid yet, but I did find out some info last night. This is the Mayer Bros Easy Hammer. It had a brief production runbetween 1902 and 1919, and I saw an artical on the ABANA sight where a gent had found one of these in MUCH worse shape then mine and she was absoultely beautiful when she was restored. I cant wait to get started!

Josh Anderson

J Anderson R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 10:48:46 AM »

Heres an old catolague ad from a gent on IFI, I wish I could see one with some motor detail, but I think alot of them were line driven, then modified for an electric motor/belt system later

* easyhammer[1] forum sized.jpg (45.59 KB, 485x462 - viewed 104 times.)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 10:52:34 AM by J Anderson R » Logged

Josh Anderson

Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 09:09:45 PM »

Josh:
One thing I have learned the hard way many times - before you take her apart, index every piece you take off, use a center punch or some kind of marker to insure that when you put her back together it all goes back the exact same way. Your photos are good, the clutch ring looks almost new, one of mine is worn to 1/2 that size and still working.

That is a good find having a photo and write up on her, very interesting. Sid has one with a wooden beam instead of the steel one you have - if my memory serves me correctly. It won't be too hard to put an electric motor on her, v belts will work fine, I usually use two, have never been able to make three work but usually have to purchase drive pulleys with three groves. Don't waste money on matched belts, just get them with the same numbers on them - I wasted some good money always insisting on matched belts. You can also still get flat belts or make your own out of leather.

J Anderson R

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 05:53:47 PM »

Im gonna photograph every aspect of the disassembly, I think I just need to remove the clutch and arm, then sandblast. I was curious about one thing in the add, doesnt 325 blows per minute seem realy fast?

Josh Anderson

Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 07:49:49 PM »

Ask Sid about the blows/ minute, he can figure out exactly what you need. Like I said earlier - he is the man!!

kbaknife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 04:27:10 PM »

I'll be darned - another Anderson (en) from Minnesota!
I spent the early part of my life just north of you in Wabasso, near Redwood Falls and Sleepy Eye.
That's a beautiful find!
Now what you need is a good ol' one cylinder 'hit-n-miss' to drive it with! My Dad and I used to cut up our firewood with a hit-n-miss.
A medium sized one would easily run that.
Congratulations.   

www.andersenforge.com

When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
J Anderson R

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 07:11:55 PM »

Now what you need is a good ol' one cylinder 'hit-n-miss' to drive it with! My Dad and I used to cut up our firewood with a hit-n-miss.
A medium sized one would easily run that.

Im intrigued, Ive never heard of a "hit and miss", is it just a one cylidar gas motor? What would be considered medium sized?

Ive got her half taken apart, its going alot smoother then I thought it would, and its so versitile and such a simple design, I cant believe they stopped making them
Thanks for the post!

Josh Anderson

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: