Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: CPM s30v and Boxelder Burl Hunter  (Read 1549 times)
spaknives
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2009, 03:48:51 PM »

Hey there,
Here is one I finished a few days ago. A friend I work with wanted to try some s30v stainless & asked me to make him a knife using this steel. I told him I had used and heat treated a few different types of stainless, But never s30v. I told him I would give it a try and see how it turned out. I made the blade and talked to Paul Bos who runs a big stainless steel heat treating business and he was kind enough to give me his recipe which realy isn't a whole lot different than ATS-34 or 154cm. So I heat treated it in my oven and thought I would do some tests before I put the handle on it. I tighted up my vise so the handle was sturdy horizontally and did 4 edge flexes on each side on the handle of my vise with no chippage or cracks. I was a little worried I bombed the heat treat and thought ist was to soft, so I honned up the edge a bit on the norton stone and went to cutting 1/2" rope. I reached 266 cuts on the rope and the blade was still cutting with but was pretty much done. So I thought that was pretty decent for some stainless. I will say I put some thumbnotches on the spine of the blade and my thumb hurt like hell when I wa done cutting the rope 266 times. So that is probley it for the thumb notches and they are also a big stress riser.
 So about the knife
Blade Steel: CPM s30v HT to 59 to 60 rc
Bolster: Black linen Micarta
Cigar Band:  Stabilized Wooly Mammoth Tooth
Handle: Stabilized Boxelder Burl
Accents: Gray Liners & spacers, File Work, And Mosaic Pins
Sorry these are kinda crappy pics. Thanks for Lookin and please let me know what you thinks, Shane P. Atwood

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 08:01:42 PM »

Thumb notches are meant to keep the man using the knife awake so he does not accidentally cut himself. It is called pain therapy.

Paul Bos is one of the finest members of the knife community, a good hand.

I like the looks of the knife, good job!

My suggestion, look at the knives your used butchering beef and ask yourself why? for each aspect of their design, then go from there to seek the ultimate of your dreams.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 10:47:13 AM »

Thats a perty one ! I like the "chefs knife" drop in a blade if it is of the guardless variety, sounds like it will serve your friend well, nice job !

Don't take life to seriously, you'll never make it out alive.  - Van Wilder
Harold Locke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 12:27:36 PM »

Shane, Wow, she's definately a contemporay gal. Nice lines, outfitted in beautiful burl and color coordinate mammoth. I bet the owner is very proud to have her by his side.

Harold Locke
Butch Deveraux

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 09:12:51 AM »

Great job Shane!  She's a beauty and I want to congratulate you on the honesty you put into her.  By testing her you have made a truly honest knife and also learned something(thumb notches hurt) that you are able to put into the rest of your knives which will make them alot more user friendly.

Keep up the good work!

Butch

gmusic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 06:24:06 PM »

Very nice Shane!  Nothing like a sweet skinner.

The SPA, was that etched or engraved?  I like the look!

That 1/2" rope, was it hemp or sisal?

Knives are man's best fiend............

www.musicmadeknives.com
spaknives

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 03:47:19 PM »

Thanks Fellors!

Butch I am a true believer in testing my knives. Especially after the seminar. Thanks for the kind words.

Gary, I made a etching machine that is basically the sme thing as an etch-o-matic. Pretty easy to make if ya want the instructions. It works great. The rope is sisal rope. I would like to find some hemp but have not been able to as of yet.

Larrin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 10:15:21 PM »

How did the cutting of this knife compare to other steels you've used?
spaknives

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 08:22:17 AM »

Hey Larrin,
 I have mainly been using damascus steel from a vareity of makers. The damascus has been all over the place any where from 100cuts to about 300 cuts. ATS-34 brought 200cuts but was hollow ground. I am just now doing some tests with 1095 A-2 and O-1.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: