Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: First Finished "Seminar Blade"! Finally!!  (Read 1923 times)
spaknives
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2009, 06:37:11 AM »

Hey Fellors,
 Hows everything goin?? It's goin good here. I finally got one of my blades from the seminar finished. I have had the guard soldered on this thing for a couple weeks now, I've been stressing out about what to use for handle material. I decided to use this block of stabilized Buckeye burl that I've had kicken around for a couple of years. Buckeye is one of my favorite woods. I decided I was goin to make this one for total comfort and try to make it fit my had as well as I could. Thes pictures make it look a little more "blocky" than it realy is. The handle shape I had in mind was a little different that this but it feels so good in my hand the way it is right now I don't dare to sand on it any more. The guard is 416 stainless steel wich I thought was kind of a pain in the but to work with, but turned out good in the end. The blade is JD5160 forged at Ed's shop. It also has blue & turquiose spacers & like I said Buckeye burl. The guard is silver soldered on and the handle is held on with accraglass. Thanks for looking & let me know what ya think, Shane

paknives/DSC_0276.jpg[/IMG]

spaknives

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 06:41:02 AM »

A few more pics!! Grin

PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 01:35:26 PM »

Shane I think ya did good.
The blade looks beautiful and the burl looks great.
I think you did Ed and yourself proud.

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 03:20:14 PM »

The temper line is great Shane, I like the way you shaped the blade. The offset handle is another attribute the man who uses it will come to appreciate for functionally provides one attribute of the dropped handle.

I like your choice of the handle material, Turquoise is one of my favorite stones for its color and has been since I was a little kid teething on a turquoise nugget on my mother's necklace - so I am told.

That is one beautiful knife, Good job!

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 11:35:26 PM »

That is a beauty and she does look comfortable! Nice job avoiding the "block " handle, looks like a good one, keep those pics coming !

Don't take life to seriously, you'll never make it out alive.  - Van Wilder
JimmyR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 07:05:35 AM »

That came out brilliantly, good work. I am also a big fan of buckeye wood, and I think the silver of the guard is very complementary.
danbot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 10:40:26 PM »

Nice job Shane!  That certainly is nice wood.  I've never heard of Buck eye, is it some kind of maple?
spaknives

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 08:49:06 PM »

Thanks Everyone! California Buckeye is the true name of the wood. It only grows in California. I don't think it is part of the maple family although I could be wrong. It is somewhat porous, but when stabilized is very sturdy. I realy like it do to the contrast of grays and yellowish colors it has. I have never seen another wood with the gray color it has.

Harold Locke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 06:45:29 PM »

Shane,

Looks great, hope to see more.

Harold Locke
Butch Deveraux

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 03:50:19 PM »

Great job Shane!  She looks like a real beauty. That's a great blade shape and you got a real nice transition line through your blade. 
It's good to hear the way you shaped the handle to fit your hand.

Lookin forward to seein your next ones.

Hope you're enjoying your Deveraux addition as well. What did Lacey think of it?

I've shown your knife you traded to me to alot friends and they all really like her as well.
It's definitely a sweet peice.

Keep up the good work!
Butch

gmusic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 01:38:08 AM »

VERY nice Shane!

I like it................................everything about it!

Knives are man's best fiend............

www.musicmadeknives.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: