Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: First narrow tang  (Read 2057 times)
J Anderson R
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2009, 08:27:58 PM »

Hello all. Heres a blade I just finished up today. The cable and brass came from the scrap yard, mammoth tooth spacer was leftover from handle slabs, and the antler came from my father in laws outhouse, he said its over 20 years old, at first I thought it was too old but a little grinding revealed a nice core under the bark. This is my first narrow tang so any tips or comments are appriciated. Ill definately do the guard differently next time, it seems like it interupts the flow ( needs more curve )
I wanted a new edc and I was broke so I was amazed what could be done with $5 worth of materials and a little time. I was going to dye the antler but I kinda like the color now, what do you think?    

* 001 (7).JPG (84.75 KB, 692x450 - viewed 356 times.)

* 003 (5).JPG (83.46 KB, 808x388 - viewed 362 times.)

* 005 (4).JPG (64.74 KB, 664x323 - viewed 338 times.)

* 006.JPG (54.01 KB, 387x634 - viewed 356 times.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:58:42 AM by J Anderson R » Logged

Josh Anderson

"We find comfort among those who agree with us- growth among those who dont"- Frank A Clark
danbot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 05:56:48 PM »

Josh:  That's a real nice looking knife!  I like the colour of the antler the way it is.  It would also look good if you dyed it I'm sure, but I like the natural colour.  I think that if you put maybe a 15 to 20 degree bevel on the back of the guard at the top you would add some extra dimension to it, and it would be a little more comfortable to press the thumb against for cutting with.

All in all I think it's a nice honest looking knife.  Simplistic in design and looks very functional!  Nice work!!
Harold Locke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 04:06:37 AM »

Josh,

I like this lady very much. especially the blade lines.

Harold Locke
J Anderson R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 08:11:29 PM »

Thanks for the compliments, I agree with the bevel idea on the guard, Im gonna give it a try, Thanks for the tip

Josh Anderson

"We find comfort among those who agree with us- growth among those who dont"- Frank A Clark
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 09:52:14 PM »

Nice knife.
Using natural shaped materials can provide a real learning experience, you have to follow natures design and make it work in the human hand.  The round stick type handle can be beautiful and are admired by many, but how about those that are not symmetrical and force you to work with what they provide?

Take a piece of clay and wrap it around a blade tang, now hold it in the hand you use a knife with and start moulding it with your hand until it fit perfectly, until you don't even realize it is in your hand, it fits all contours of your hand.

Once you have found what you like turn the knife over and see if it still fits - go back to making those minor changes that make a difference and then go back to the normal grip - still work?  If not do a little more work and soon you will have these two grips worked out.

Now move the knife around like you were using it, you will find the two grips you have already developed are only part of the answer, when you use a knife doing many actions you will find your hand is constantly moving around the handle. Further develop your handle until it works in many slightly differing grips and your are on your way to lessons of the physiology of the human hand and task that few have explored and the lessons waiting are infinite!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 09:54:08 PM by Ed Fowler » Logged

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: