Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cable damascus "Talon"- small gardening blade  (Read 2579 times)
J Anderson R
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2008, 09:59:27 PM »

I wanted to make my grandmother a knife for a Christmas present, shes 90 years old and loves her flowers so I came up with my own design for her to use in her flower bed. The tang etched out realy pretty and it felt realy nice and balanced the way it was so I didnt put handle slabs on it, I ground the blade much thinner then the tang so its almost an integral effect. Cable damascus with bronze flashing

OAL 9", 3 1/2" edge hardened blade, flat ground with a convex edge

Design tips and critique truely appriciated    

* 002 (6).JPG (64.42 KB, 776x333 - viewed 330 times.)

* 002 (7).JPG (42.48 KB, 323x482 - viewed 332 times.)

* 003 (3).JPG (78.69 KB, 492x610 - viewed 325 times.)

Josh Anderson

"We find comfort among those who agree with us- growth among those who dont"- Frank A Clark
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 06:44:41 AM »

Great looking knife, she's going to be thrilled. I hope she doesn't think it's too pretty to use.

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

danbot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 02:29:54 PM »

Knife looks really nice.  One thing I noticed is that the edges on the handle look a little sharp.  You might want to soften them a little more.  Other than that, it should work real well!
Harold Locke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 10:54:49 AM »

Very cool. Hope your grandmother gets a lot of use.

Harold Locke
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 09:28:49 PM »

Very nice knife! I would do some rounding of the sharp edges on the handle.

I made my grandmother a wire Damascus knife very early on, not 1 ten thousands as well done as yours. Its blade geometry resembled a carrot. Every time I visited she was using it cutting food stuff. Finally one day she asked me if I could make one a little thinner as to slice lettuce instead of crush it. I made one for her with a thin blade and she seemed very pleased.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
J Anderson R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 06:06:06 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys, Im going to round up the handle corners and I decided to do an overlay, still deciding on material, any suggestions?
I read your books Ed, that was the inspiration for the the bronze, even though most of it got ground off. When the light catches the blade right you see alot more bronze that the camera didnt catch, realy a striking effect. Awesome books too, is there a Knife Talk 3 in the works by any chance?

Josh Anderson

"We find comfort among those who agree with us- growth among those who dont"- Frank A Clark
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 10:20:45 PM »

The idea came to me remembering a vein of gold in a mine. Sure is pretty! I am currently working on a book with all the information we have learned and a lot of thoughts where we can go in the future if new makers are willing to try.

One thought: there mare many bronzing alloys available besides Brass, wire Damascus is very porous and as you have seen at the right temp some alloying can be done with a torch. This is where I was headed when I fell in love with 52100. Talk to your folks at the welding supply house and see about some samples to play with. It will take a lot of time and probably many results that you will wonder about for years, but I feel there is some knowledge to be gained. Columbium is one I thought about.

Be sure had have plenty of ventilation as you work with them, with the brass you are burning out zinc and the fumes can be hazardous to your health.

Thank you for your kind words about my books, they were good times putting together and have stimulated many friendships.

I wish you good luck with your knifemaking, and remember there is only one rule - Have fun with it!

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: