Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: "How I Photograph Knives" Q & A  (Read 9499 times)
PhilL
Administrator
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2007, 07:17:26 AM »

I would like to thank Jeremy, AKA busterbones for posting my tutorial on How I photograph Knives. If you've ever been dissatisfied with your photography skills, or you thought it was just too hard or too expensive to take good pics of your knives, I hope the article will let you see that it doesn't have to be.

Some may think my technique is too overly simplistic to take good photos, I promise you this exactly the setup I use to photograph knives, and it is simple. I hope you'll at least try it and post your results here. If you keep it simple I can help anyone become a better photographer.

I already have Part II of this tutorial written, How I Do Image Editing. The old computer adage GIGO (garbage in garbage out) does apply. The better the photo you start with the easier it is to improve. 99% of all photos out of the camera need improvement. I'd like to show you step by step how I handle my photos. These techniques will not only let you refine your new knife photos, but how to improve some of your old knife photos as well as family photographs. I would however like some feedback from you folks before I continue.

So, I'd like to know what you folks think, questions, comments and most importantly photos are welcome here.

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 07:59:45 PM »

That is a good tip and a great photo!

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
radicat
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 12:55:34 AM »

That on-board photo says a lot, especially to those that have experienced those conditions. It may have been a beautiful day, but the seas were rolling. A loose cannon would not have been fun to chase that day.
My Dad was on a slow boat to Okinawa during WWII when the tables and chairs in the mess-hall/galley broke loose and were sliding from bulkhead to bulkhead. After a couple of sailors got hurt trying to secure part of it, they shut the passageway doors and didn't go in there for 10 days. When things settled down, it all went overboard as scrap.
                                                                                                                                                                       When that liberty ship got to Okinawa, the enlisted men went to the beach, and a kamakazi fighter flew from across the island over their heads, hit the ship two miles offshore, and it sunk with all of the officers and supplies onboard. Things went down-hill from there. They had very little in the way of weapons, so my Dad and others started making knives from anything they could scrounge up while Japanese snipers were trying to pick them off one at a time. He brought his knife home with him 3 years later. He said it had seen some brutal action. He had a photo of himself with the knife in one hand and a Japanese soldier's head in the other. War makes men hard. It was stolen in a home burglary when I was about ten years old, but I still know that knife like the back of my hand. What I'd give to have it now!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 01:01:56 AM by radicat » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: