Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: O1 Jungle Knife  (Read 2155 times)
J Anderson R
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »

Heres a simple slasher I forged out of 01. No frills. Horse stall mat handle, mild steel guard (pinned and soldered on) and brass pins. This is a hard woking knife that feel right at home in the hand. I wanted something simple, yet intimidating, graceful, and tough. Heres what I came up with. I let the tip curve up further than normal to expose more cutting edge. Please let me know what you think.

OAL 11 3/8"

6 1/4" BLADE    

* 001 (6).JPG (65.04 KB, 567x287 - viewed 375 times.)

* 004.JPG (54.23 KB, 489x333 - viewed 355 times.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 05:20:44 PM by J Anderson R » Logged

Josh Anderson

"We find comfort among those who agree with us- growth among those who dont"- Frank A Clark
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »

That is a nice knife, how did she perform?
I personally find the trailing point difficult to use and hard to make a scabbard for, but we can get used to any knife we carry and use a lot.
Thanks for posting her up!

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 05:09:23 PM »

Thats a good looking knife, looks comfortable in the hand. I think it would be right at home skinning, the little notch at the rear of the blade might hang up occasionally. For a "slasher" I have found you actually want more of a chopper belly, or dropped tip. This will keep you in contact with your target for the full cut instead of floating off. My experience only. How does she cut ?

Don't take life to seriously, you'll never make it out alive.  - Van Wilder
J Anderson R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 05:33:31 PM »

To be honest, she handles great, but I regret letting the point raise so much, it was more sloppy forging on my part then any part of my origianal design. sometimes I just let the steel curve where she wants to. Shes a little thick for a skinner, but she chops and slashes like a beast. Ed, you just reminded me I still need to make a sheath, this could be interesting. Thanks all for the kind words and critique, I truely appriciate it.

Josh Anderson

"We find comfort among those who agree with us- growth among those who dont"- Frank A Clark
caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 07:24:55 PM »

Don't get me wrong, the lines of the knife are gorgeous. Alot of times if something isn't "right" with a knife you will know because it will look unbalanced or just wrong. Your knife is gorgeous, the way the lines flow from front to back. Everything looks to be in harmony with your intent. lLet us know how she cuts and post that sheath when its finished, I love to see nice leather work !

Don't take life to seriously, you'll never make it out alive.  - Van Wilder
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: