Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: About wood and steel  (Read 1127 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Greg Dash
Trade Count: (0)
Sr. Member
Posts: 112

View Profile WWW
« on: July 11, 2008, 02:03:53 PM »

Morning everybody.
Found an interesting source of wood.
I know that most of you guys have their oun preferences and suppluyers, but take a look.
Even if you do not buy from them, there is some interesting info here.

Go to "Resources" tab. I found "Wood Libroary" and "Wood Toxicity" very informative.
Do not miss "Toxicity Table" on the bottom of "Wood Toxicity".
I hope it will help at least some of you.

Old fool!
I forgot to add the link.
Here it is:    

« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 03:20:39 AM by dashcut » Logged

Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 03:55:15 PM »

That's an excellent find dashcut. I'll definitely add the link to my list.

I encourage others to tell us about such good sites. I really appreciate it dashcut.

You're right, the resources pages are full of good info.

I don't think people think of wood as being toxic. They should. I've worked with a lot of unusual woods around boating. I think it's best to assume that any dust can be harmful to the lungs and the skin.

Some things I've run into in various exposure to woods:

Brazilian pepper tree family -  irritates eyes, skin, lungs

Mango - sap and dust can be worse than poison ivy, ugly oozing blisters, temporary blindness

Poison Ivy - Some can be several inches in diameter and you may accidentally cut it ( especially bad to spray juice from a chain saw) I nearly went to the hospital and my friend did spend a couple of days there. Oh yeah, never inhale smoke that may be from a toxic wood. It will kill you.

Treated woods - Two friends of mine were working with treated lumber building docks. The cyanide that is in older treated woods put them in the hospital for a week. They were inhaling the dust, using bare hands, and eating their lunch without washing up good. They got to the point that the veins in their arms and hands were turning black as happens with people who die from cyanide poisoning. And, the infections from splinters from treated wood are not fun, even after removal.

Creosote - old telephone poles that are treated with creosote are very dangerous to cut with a chainsaw. The dust will cause severe irritation and burning of the skin and if it gets in the lungs, Goodbye. There are reasons why these wood treatments are now outlawed.

I'm sure I can think of others. Just remember that any part of a wood can cause problems, be it sap, juices, dust, or chips. Some of these are Mother Nature's natural defenses and "It's not nice to mess with Mother Nature."

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 04:15:50 PM by radicat » Logged
Greg Dash
Trade Count: (0)
Sr. Member
Posts: 112

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 03:23:34 AM »

Also, some more information:
I do not know how many of you guys ae using D2 , but I found a place where I got 1/8X1 1/2 X 36 ground 4 sides to size (not just descaled) for $44.00 delivered!
Same for 5/32 for $56.00 delivered.
Tell me did I do good or I overpayed?
Thanks all

Calvin Robinson
Trade Count: (0)
Jr. Member
Posts: 25

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »

I use lots of d-2,I would sure like to know where you got that good deal.
Trade Count: (0)
Hero Member
Posts: 910

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 01:39:30 AM »

Thank you guys, this kind of toxicity information on woods is helpful to know.. wow, i'm surprised how much of the "dormant" or older treated stuff can still retain so much to ruin your days.
Skulls and crossbones!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
TinyPortal v0.9.8 © Bloc
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!