Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: FOWLER FIGHTER STOLEN AT BLADE  (Read 13474 times)
PhilL
Administrator
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: June 04, 2008, 04:02:10 PM »

The poster says it all.

If you see or hear anything please contact Ed Fowler:
eafwb@wyoming.com

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

radicat
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 05:40:20 PM »

Well, it turns out that there are a lot of stories about stolen knives made by Gil, but not necessarily from him directly. In fact there are so many stories about knives being stolen from lots of people, that I thought, "Why did I search for "bad" news?"

How about a mysterious story instead:

One Hibben knife story is a mystery. In 1967, a burglar stole an ivory?handled Hibben knife from the home of Tom Siatos, former publisher of Guns and Ammo. It was a cherished knife with "Tom Siatos" inscribed on the blade. Tom had long forgotten the stolen knife when, four years later, a Marine lieutenant sent him a package from Vietnam. It contained the Hibben knife, complete with scabbard; an old, folding bolt?action Chinese rifle; and a Vietcong cone?style straw hat with red star on the front. The lieutenant's letter said the items were found on a dead Vietcong. He sent them to Tom because he recognized the name inscribed on the blade from Guns and Ammo magazine.

Tom reasons that either the burglar went to Vietnam or sold the knife to a soldier headed for Vietnam. That soldier was killed, and a Vietcong lifted the knife from his body.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 05:50:24 PM by radicat » Logged
jonet143

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 11:39:02 AM »

i hope it's ok, i posted the wanted poster on the knife site i hang out in. AAPK. hope the worm is found and your knife recovered.

johnnie
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 05:18:47 PM »

Thank you Johnnie.

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.

Harry Mathews

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 05:17:01 PM »

I have been away from this forum for a while and wanted to check in to see if there had been any luck in finding the knife. I was fortunate enough to be able to handle it at the Blade Show and it is a good one. Kind of leaves a weak place in my stomach to think that someone took it.

Most of the people that are interested in custom/handmade knives are as honest as you could wish, but all it takes is one nut to ruin a great experience for everyone. Those are the ones that everyone should be watching out for at any knife show. Hopefully the knife will find its way back to the rightful owner.

Harry Mathews
Second Twin
Twin Blades
www.twinxblades.com
Member of The Knifemaker's Guild
Robertv6

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »

Ed,
You will probably not remember, but i was able to go to the blade show this year, i walked up and introduced myself to you.  There was a guy at your table who had lost 3 of his fingers.  i have just now finished up a project that i have time again to get back into making....attempting to make knives and log on to knife talk.  I was ..am shocked, dismayed that someone stold one of your knives.  Yeah, i know there is always one in every crowd, but that shit just aint right.  I was happy to meet you and ....well, i know you are a mastersmith, but you seemed like a regular joe, took time to talk with me, and are kinda funny.  Anyway, it was nice meeting you and im real sorry you lost one of your children.
blue skies

robert

ps, time heals all wounds, and wounds all heels!!!
Unsub

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 04:19:22 AM »

It seems like the police are at least treating it like an art theft and not just like they would a normal
consumer item even an expensive one.

I wonder if it will end up coming back after being found on a dead Taliban like Gill's knife?

It was Ken Onion who had a whole case of 200 000$ dollars worth of custom folders(not my style but well made and very distinct) stolen from the airline on the way to a show in Hawaii. The airline did nothing and it was undoubtably their employee who stole it from a very secure area especially post 9/11.
You are 100 times better off shipping it by courier.

They never found Ken's knives. I would bet 200 000$ they are in some Chinese multimillionaire communist party members den.

I will post that Wanted poster as well at my home forums.

Damn that fighter was nice.
Is it the same knife as this one?

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 04:50:35 AM by Unsub » Logged
red

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 09:17:56 PM »

Hey man I would be...(well not safe to be around)...(not really but,haha) horribly mad.. Angry.. if a knife of mine was stolen.
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2009, 05:48:38 AM »

Welcome aboard Red.
You've brought back an old thread and thankfully nothing was stolen off Ed's table this year at Blade.
Ed took the theft last year a lot better than most people and certainly better than I would have. He felt that having only two knives stolen in 30 years that he was doing pretty good. That's Ed.

The hardest part for me is that Ed knows exactly who stole this knife, and so far has been able to do nothing about it, not even name the thief.

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2009, 08:06:34 AM »

Welcome to knifetalkonline Red. She is a real nice knife, developed using some ideas I found in blades from Michael Prices father who although he died in the 1850's was thoughtful enough to send a knife to me through several other folks with his ideas about blade geometry for me to appreciate. Then Rudy Ruana showed me his ideas on a fighter and I put their ideas together with mine and she came to life.

I just hope she found a good home and was not tossed in a dumpster.

Unsub: she was very much like the blade you posted up, every one is a little different as I try something new with each knife.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Harold Locke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2009, 04:10:50 PM »

"The hardest part for me is that Ed knows exactly who stole this knife, and so far has been able to do nothing about it, not even name the thief. "

Phil,

Your quote above shows the professional and controlled nature that is our mentor Ed Fowler. I believe that if it was me it would truly drive me crazy.

Ed, don't get me wrong on this but you are showing us how a man of God should handle this situmacation.

Harold Locke
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2015, 11:51:43 AM »

Figured I would wake this one up just in case someone has seen her recently.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
John Silveira

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2015, 11:41:03 AM »

Figured I would wake this one up just in case someone has seen her recently.

Nope - we don't have many shows here in California either - i can't imagine someone trying to sell that knife at a show . I suppose if someone bought it not knowing then was showing it around at a show is possible - don't suspect they'd get away with that even for too long.

good luck - bring it home !
TomWhite

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2015, 10:32:42 PM »

Imagine a knife you can never use in mixed company.  Never sell,  because it has been stolen. 
And perhaps, you might consider, someone would have owned it with the respect it deserved.
No doubt, the theft was successful, but did it really gain anything? These are the type things that separate us from folks many years before we came along.  Property and ownership are relatively new concepts as humans go.
I hope some day the knife will show up.
I am looking for it, and if I find it, I will buy it from Ed.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: