Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Western Parachutist # W31  (Read 7654 times)
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2008, 10:09:37 AM »

Last night in chat we were talking about "Chute Knives" and their history, I remembered seeing a drawing in Cole's book US Military Knives Book III. After much searching I found the book and attached is a photo of a drawing of the knife. Made during WWII there were not many made, I feel it is a sweet design.

I can also vaguely remember a knife very similar that was made much earlier.    

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
John H Davis
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 02:53:23 PM »

Thank you ED for posting the picture, this is the first time I've seen this style of chute knife. It does look like a nice knife. I'll have to keep an eye out for the book / books you were talking about last night, so I can get reliable specs on early designs of militaty knives.
Thx, JD
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 03:23:03 PM »

I wish I could remember more about the older one, Pat had some nice photos to post up last night.

The Cole book Military Knives Book III is a good one, and I can't compare it to the others because I have not seen them. His drawings of the Ames and the chute knive were my first introduction to them.
I don't know if Western ever made more of them or not.

That little safety press button knive that Pat posted is also in that book and on the cover.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 04:52:25 PM »

Levine says about the western chute knife, model W31, " This was the only commercial version of prototypes developed by camillus for the marine parachute regiments." My book is a few years old but then a mint one was valued at 2500.00 I'm going to guess they are rare as hens teeth.

Don't take life to seriously, you'll never make it out alive.  - Van Wilder
radicat
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 10:23:43 PM »

The clip appears to be sharpened. I believe that is a common feature on parachute knives,as a means to avoid having to re-position the knife to make a cut. Also the lanyard hole is common.

Dropping the knife down through the jungle below could leave you hanging for a while. Or, if in water, you'd really be in trouble.       
John H Davis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 05:12:57 AM »

Yes, a common feature seems to be the lanyard hole, double edge and a length of about 4-1/4 to 4 3/4 inches as well. Something else  that comes to mind is the simularity certian Randal knives have as far as the clip point seems to look the same.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 05:18:51 AM by John H Davis » Logged
Unsub

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 01:06:23 AM »

I love chute knives. A Loveless style one done by Johnson with stag handles is my "well I have the Ferrari ,now what do I get"? knife.

I would hope that people with rare books like that where they have amazing photos and drawings would consider scanning them and putting them on the net?
It certainly would not harm anyone and there is a good chance of the copywrite being up anyway. The interest in something like that would be very limited but the people who did want it would be thrilled.

K Salonek
Crow Valley Forge

Kevin Salonek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 08:45:44 PM »

BUMP:

Bumping this thread, if I may?

Way back when, the discussion in chat, and Ed posting the picture of this chute knife inspired making one, the blade was forged back then, finally finished.

Thinking about just getting down from a tree, maybe in the jungle, now what?

Giving this one a little 'fight' in memory to those shot down the other side of friendly lines, and the terror they faced!

A very fun knife to forge!

More pictures in 'need more pictures' thread:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:49:58 PM by K Salonek » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: