Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Poll
Question: Who is still out ther
When began - 0 (0%)
Who influenced - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Utah Custom Makers  (Read 6212 times)
cow42camp46
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2008, 09:07:32 PM »

I'm writing a book on the history of the Utah Custom Kinfe makers.  Any "insights" members can reveal in this format will be appreciated.    

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 09:09:20 PM by cow42camp46 » Logged
jared williams

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 07:56:17 AM »

there is also some good history here for custom makers.  Gil Hibbon was here for a number of years as was Harvey Draper. You can't forget Buster Warenski or Julie Warenski there is or was Jim Siggma but i haven't heard about him for a while. And Jared Williams, oh wait thats me Cheesy. also my good friend Nate Summers. a very good up and comer!
 you can also check out L. Lorenze knife shop in downtown Salt Lake. its been there for about 100 years offering fine knives and sharpening service in utah. its one of the oldest businesses in utah. www.llorenz.com and the new owmer is a fan of the custom knife market.
  this is a little bit. let me know if i can help more. i don't know a ton about all the local makers but i've been a local maker for a number of years
      Thank's Jared Williams ,West Jordan UT.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 08:00:37 AM by jared williams » Logged

When the student is ready the teacher will appear.
cow42camp46

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 05:05:49 PM »

Thanks to both of you for your quick responses.   I have been working on the book since last September and have interviewed several makers.   I have heard about you Jared, but didn't know where you lived.   I haven't heard of your friend Nate.   I will check out the Knife Shop.   I haven't been there.   Let's see, I don't mind posting my email here.   You might consider sending me a word and perhaps we can get together sometime.   rustyo3@qwestoffice.net.
cfendley

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 11:47:43 AM »

Gil Hibben is a personal friend of mine and lives within four miles of me if you need to contact him. His website is hibbenknives.com.

I know Gil has got a lot of people into knifemaking including myself. If I remember right Steve Johnson was in Gil's 4H class on making knives or something when Gil lived in Manti. I cant remember if it was Gil or Steve I heard that from, I just know they are old friends and Gil had to do with Steve making knives.

cow42camp46

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 09:12:30 PM »

Thanks for your comments about Hibben and Johnson.   It was the Scouting program that brought Johnson to Hibben in Manti.   I was hoping to meet Gil at the Las Vegas Show, but he had to cancel because of illness.   So, perhaps I will see him in Atlanta in May.   There are still many makers in Utah today.   There are also many in the other States, who either lived in Utah at one time, or who were influenced in some way by some of the Utah folks like - Gil, Harvey Draper, Buster Warenski, Steve Johnson, Jim Ence, and perhaps others.   Those making out of State will be harder for me to talk to.   Another note, I have been emailing ED about a 19th Century Utah Maker - William Walker.   I have an 1851 date for him.   Any leads on him or the times by anyone here, would be great.
radicat
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 11:11:01 PM »

I did a couple of brief searches on William Walker. I didn't come up with anything, but there is much to read about Utah. I did come across something interesting about a Don McGuire who traveled the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range around 1880 collecting, among other artifacts, bowie knives from the gold rush days of 1849.

That collection was donated by his family to the Temple Square Museum in Salt Lake City.

If you get a chance check it out. It should be very interesting.

These are some very long links to some cached pages about Don McGuire, if you want to read a little history about this collector.

I would approach this research of Walker as you would a genealogical search. Many times a person's trade is indicated in census records or tax rolls. And, you can often learn from a will what was left to family members. The family may still be in the area with an old knife or two in the basement.

http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cache:WHRpD1akCu4J:history.utah.gov/FindAids/B00118/+charles+A.+McGuire+utah&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cache:mT2ozAAkBOAJ:ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/ut/state/bios/alter/m/maguire-don.txt+%22william+walker%22+knives+utah&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us&client=firefox-a
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:18:41 PM by radicat » Logged
cow42camp46

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 06:54:47 PM »

I'm excited.   Thanks for your on-line research on a new possibility - Don Maguire.   On an a visit to the Temple Square Museum several years ago, I don't remember seeing the collection.   I will look again, and Trace Them Down if need be.   I just printed off your two links and will read them tonight.   Well done.   Thanks again.
jared williams

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 08:29:04 PM »

i just heard of another utah maker named Sean Hanson. I have never heard of him before and i couldn't find him on any google searches. A guy i know told me about him and said he has been to the ECCKS. has anyone heard of him?

radicat
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 10:10:16 PM »

The knifemaker team of Shaun & Sharla Hansen are represented by Arizona Custom Knives. Maybe they are who your friend speaks of? Unfortunately there is no info provided, but if you contact the firm, they could relay a message for you possibly. Maybe your friend could check out the photo below.

http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/sold/?artist=65

* hansen 85-1.jpg (14.04 KB, 431x216 - viewed 226 times.)
radicat
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 10:22:39 PM »

cow42camp46, sometimes collections are stored away in a museum or sold. Ask the curator. It would be fun to open up a box of historic blades. Also, collections get split up during displays. A knife may be laying on a table in a kitchen display or the like.

cfendley, is the Steve Johnson you mention Steven R. Johnson of http://www.srjknives.com?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 10:29:45 PM by radicat » Logged
cow42camp46

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 05:55:46 PM »

I have Shaun and his wife, Sharla living near Camp Williams.   That's South of Salt Lake for non Utah folks.  I have the Utah State Historian, Kent Powell checking on the Maguire Bowie Collection.   He has all of the right doors to enter.   I read the material from the two sites listed by you Radicat.   Great and interesting material.   Maguire's life almost sounds too broad and exciting to be true.   If he does end up being a "player" in the early days of Utah Knives, there should be quite a bit of authentic material to draw on - Powell Second Expedition and Nevada State Geologist.  When I read about a General William Walker in Maguire's biography, my interest was tweaked.   But, sounds like he's not the Walker I'm after.   Such is are the research dead ends.   Thanks Jared for your continued interest.   I will get you called.   I have been hobbled with an ankle replacement and have been close to the fire lately.   Keep the faith.
jared williams

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 07:56:49 PM »

here's a link to a picture of one of shaun hansons knives. very nicely done folder!www.thecustomknife.com/showcase_details.php?id=106 

or

http://www.thecustomknife.com/showcase_details.php?id=106
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 08:55:17 PM by radicat » Logged

radicat
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 09:04:51 PM »

cow42camp46, if you find a box of knives from that period, there will be a great light emitting from it. Don't look directly at it. Instead, call Ed Fowler immediately. He will be there as fast as possible.       

You know this of course, but the greatest collection of genealogical information in the world is right there close to you. Lots of people to help you find your man's records fast.
jared williams

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 09:38:26 PM »

thanks for fixing that website link Clay. I'm not to good with the whole computer thing yet.

radicat
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 10:06:06 PM »

No problem jared. Sometimes I do it both ways in emails, because it's too easy to click on a link that you really aren't ready to go to, but you want to save it for a bit. Your link works fine, highlighting it, using Control + C to copy it, clearing the address bar, and inserting it using Control + V . I like the option myself.

To insert a clickable link (that's high-tech lingo for me) just stop where you want to put it (I like to put it on a line by itself), go up the blue icon above (here at least). A pop-up will say "Insert Hyperlink". Click on it and something like this will appear  "[url][url]" . Then type the address in or paste it in with Control V . It won't appear as a colored link until the post is finished. Then review the post and test the link. If it doesn't work or you want to change something, go back and use "modify" to change it.

I learn all my computer skills by thrashing around until something works, then I thrash around for another hour trying to figure out how I did it. Sometimes I don't ever know.

I clear my address bar by highlighting the old address and hitting backspace, then inserting the one I copied and hitting enter. In most cases, the http://  isn't needed. But, don't forget to add it if the link doesn't work for you.       https:// is often needed to go to sub pages.         Clay

« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 11:22:29 PM by radicat » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: