Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Little Things we learn. Shop tips and more  (Read 10331 times)
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: January 21, 2007, 09:51:15 PM »

Alan asked what I think about while I make knives.
Today, (amoung many other thoughts) I was again amazed at some new little things that I feel make my knives better as I learn.
100's of little tricks, some make the job easier, or better, or different.

When I was starting I was obcessed with function and still am. While I was finishing a knife my thoughts were of function, many little things were not significant. My equitment was as rudimentary as it gets, an old wore out 1/4 inch drill, files a blow torch and sandpaper.

Today I was working on some very fine scratches on the side of a blade just infornt of the plunge grind. I decided to experiment. I started with an X22 belt, then a x16, to an x4. The x4 left its own scratches that defied buffing due to their location. I decided to lightly add some Brownells 555 black buffing compound to the surface of a worn X4. (X belts are Norax made by Norton).   

Years ago I watched the video put out be Bob Loveless, (strongly recomended) he stated the finer the belt, the slower you want to run it, Bob's shop was a lot more sophisticated than mine and he had a variable speed grinder. The informaiton remained buried in my subconscious. A few years ago I purchased a variable speed Burr King 960. (The 960 in my experience is the most versatile knife maker friendly grinder out there).

The coated X4 belts left their own scratches, finer than frog's hair, but still scratches. I dressed up a 3M neutral scotch brite belt with 555 black, slowed it down and worked on the scratches. I found the scotch brite belt would flow with the contours of my complex convex blade well. The blade is now in the etchant and soon I will know if the blade will be of sufficient quality to finish into a knife.

When I started I wondered how some of the new guys who worked with Draper, Warrenski, Hibben, and many other great knife makers ever got so good so quick.

Now I know, they spent many hours watching, sharing the little thougts that go through a knife makers head while he makes a knife. No great earth shaking events, just many little tricks that we learn one at a time, again and again.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/

busterbones
Administrator
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 09:32:56 PM »

Has anyone ever tried a Neti Pot?  My wife picked up one for our sinus problems.  Basically a tea pot that allows you to pour the salt solution up one nostril, so it flows out the other.  Takes a little getting used to (makes you feel like an ass at first), but once you can used to it, works great.  Here's a picture from the internet on the Neti Pot in action.
This woman is in no way related to me. I swear she is not from my gene pool. Cheesy

« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 09:38:22 PM by busterbones » Logged
radicat
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 10:33:42 PM »

Alright, no jokes. I promise.
It is a fact that the salinity of the human body is the same as ocean water. It's been that way since we crawled up on a beach and set out to destroy the earth. That photo shows how much we have advanced. We came from living in salt water to pouring it up our snout. Was there a joke in there? If so, I lied.       
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 11:42:45 PM »

Her eyes look way too serious, I think she is faking it.

Alan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 12:12:44 AM »

Good Gaud.......
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2007, 04:01:39 PM »

Hello Karen: "this is Leo your agent. We have a modeling job for you, a product that will be advertised nationally. Now you will have somethng you can send your mother that will reward her for all her work and investment in your career. See you at the studio 10:00AM".

radicat
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 04:30:39 PM »

That explains the serious look. She's thinking about how she's going to kill her agent.
Unsub

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 06:02:48 AM »

I kind of admire her. It took some guts(and a nice cheque) to get a woman to
take that photo. Personally I may give it a shot as I have really bad sinus problems.
I have the smallest sinus cavity my nose and throat doctor has ever seen and a deviated
septum so I am ready to try a nesi pot or any other quack device the internet throws up.
kbaknife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 12:20:31 AM »

I have an EDT - (Every Day Tip)
"Don't sing while you clean the toilet."
Karl B. Andersen

www.andersenforge.com

When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
radicat
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 05:56:28 AM »

Words to live by, Karl.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: