Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The REAL Bowie Knife  (Read 39904 times)
radicat
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2008, 08:39:38 PM »

Every article about Bowie knives mentions the conflicting stories about their origin and the makers of them. This article seems to have more than most. A person could spend a lifetime studying this one subject.

This kind of research is fulfilling on many levels. You get to look into the lives of the past, discover history as you never read it, and solve a mystery or two. You can share what you learn with others doing the same. An added bonus is that it keeps the mind sharp. I think I need to do a lot more. Then again, maybe it's because I've been up for over twenty hours. I must be getting old.

Scroll down a bit to "Who Invented the Bowie Knife?"  I've mentioned this before, but it is important to keep in mind that it was common for men of wealth to say that they "made" this-or-that, when they actually had it made by someone else. I saw this in records of colonial times, especially if the work was done by slaves or indentured servants. To me it was as though these men felt that if they commanded it, then they should take full credit for it. It's these small things that you learn as a researcher to watch for. Another common mistake is to confuse two people with one another. Example; Rezin Bowie and his son, Rezin P. Bowie. If it appears that a person lived to be 145 years old, look again.

Who Invented the Bowie Knife?

http://notorc.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_archive.html 

Edit: As I was double checking my link I noticed that the story preceding ours on that page states that no Europeans entered the interior of North America before the 1600's. WRONG!! Spaniards explored probably as far north as Canada in the 1500s'. It has been proven in the last twenty years that Spain established permanent settlements at the base of the Appalachian mountains 60 years ( 1566 )before the earliest English settlements were in Virginia. When the first men were led into the interior by Daniel Boone, they were greeted by white Baptist families already well established with the Native Americans. My wife's family among them. So, we are constantly learning about and re-writing history.

* horse1cavalry.gif (27.74 KB, 130x125 - viewed 937 times.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:27:39 AM by radicat » Logged
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »

I loved the statement loosely related "legend has no right to contradict history than history to contradict legend.

I believe the facts usually lie somewhere in between.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Ebbtide

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2008, 09:31:20 AM »

A little OT, but the book "1491" is a very good read about life in the Americas before the arrival of Columbus.
Now back to Bowie history  Grin

Just say NO to knife abuse.
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2013, 09:28:38 PM »

I have been reading through our discussions about the "Bowie Knives" and antique knives, I am very proud of the information and opinions we have shared and congratulate all who have shared their knowledge and thoughts.
Clay: your work and photos are beautiful and all in one place, I thank you for sharing your photos with us.

Thanks to all!

Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2013, 11:02:14 PM »

I have his books, bought them when they were cheap! They are well worth what ever they cost. His work has some errors in spelling and the like, his knowledge is well based. It is impossible to write a book on old Bowies with out sticking your neck out and making a few errors. The important consideration is that you gain knowledge from every book you read - be grateful that some writers have the courage to record their thoughts and knowledge with us.

Bowie Knives and Bayonets of the Ben Palmer Collection, 2nd edition is another good investment. Written my Ben Palmer, Bill Moran and Jim Phillips.

mreich

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »

Wow! That is one fine knife!

I wouldn't be surprised if it doubles in selling price.
John Silveira

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2013, 09:15:56 PM »

I have his books, bought them when they were cheap! They are well worth what ever they cost. His work has some errors in spelling and the like, his knowledge is well based. It is impossible to write a book on old Bowies with out sticking your neck out and making a few errors. The important consideration is that you gain knowledge from every book you read - be grateful that some writers have the courage to record their thoughts and knowledge with us.

Bowie Knives and Bayonets of the Ben Palmer Collection, 2nd edition is another good investment. Written my Ben Palmer, Bill Moran and Jim Phillips.

wish Barnes and Noble stocked knife maker books but i've been dropping in on several locations and they have NADA ~~  not a single book .....
Daniel Rohde (D-Vision)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2013, 06:45:20 AM »

I'm surprised they don't, have you ask any of the workers there about it?

Consistent, Repeatable Performance is the goal
http://www.rohdeedge.com/
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2013, 10:20:23 AM »

There are several used book outfits that may have one.
Abe Books, Albris, Thrift Books are all good outfits to work with, there are probably others.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: