Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Lots to sell...  (Read 8453 times)
DanatSavageSmith
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: February 10, 2008, 04:18:16 PM »

Hi everyone, as the new guy I find it difficult to sell my knives since I don't have a name or reputation yet.  If anyone would like to find out what I can do after a mere 11 months of serious study check out what I've got here.  If I'm gonna stay in this business I need the help of collectors who are willing to take a chance on me.  Most of this stuff is a serial number one or number two and is marked as such.  Any questions, please e-mail me a webmaster@savagesmith.com
Thanks for looking!

http://www.savagesmith.com/CombatDagger1.jpg
This knife is my idea of an improved version of a British WWII combat dagger.  Newer steels allow for a narrower blade than the originals, and make this knife strong and rigid enough to penetrate almost any body armor available today.  A great trench knife for the modern soldier.
Combat Dagger Mk.I (No. 001) has 3/8? thick, 9+1/8? long blade and is 15+1/8? Overall
440C blade Rc 57-58, 416 Pommel and guard, Stabilized burled maple handle.
Comes with handmade leather sheath. $650.00

http://www.savagesmith.com/Fishknifeblack.jpg
A compact and sturdy Fish Knife designed to fit easily into most tackle boxes or be worn on the belt without encumbering the wearers perfect cast.
The Fish Knife Mk.I has a 6? blade and is 10+1/2? Overall.
440C blade Rc 57-58, Fish Knife Mk.I (No.002) has a black canvas Micarta handle and comes with a hand tooled leather sheath, featuring a dunkleosteus, a fish the size of a school bus that has supposedly been extinct for millions of years, but a guy can hope right? $250.00

http://www.savagesmith.com/JaneBowie001.jpg
http://www.savagesmith.com/JaneBowie001Crown.jpg
A sleeker take on the traditional American fighting knife.  The Jane Bowie Mk.I(No.001) looks equally at home in a display case or on your favorite gun belt, a sophisticated, more civilized knife for the outdoorsman who has everything.
The Jane Bowie has a 3/8? thick 9? long blade with a razor sharp clip and is 14? Overall.
440C blade Rc 57-58, 416SS guard and crown pommel, stabilized and dyed blue box elder burl handle.
Comes with handmade leather sheath. $700.00

That's just a few examples of what I've got, almost everything on my website www.savagesmith.com is for sale, so please check them out and feel free to e-mail me any questions, comments or advice you may have.    

Aun Aprendo, Noli non legitime carbor undem est.
www.savagesmith.com
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 09:23:26 PM »

Dan: There is a lot to knife making, more than simply making them. Probably most important is to stick with it, at one time I had the largest collection of Ed Fowler knives in existence. One day 4 men stopped by and bought them all. I had enough money to buy a Burr King 960 and a few belts. As I remember my highest knife sold for $125.
Most of them were much less.

Advice that I took to heart and am glad that I did:
Bob Brownell said when you start your business, put your name on it. Not Ajax gun shop, but Ed Fowler Gun Shop. - I was doing gunsmithing at the time -. Everyone remembers who made Colts, Remington's, Winchester. If you do well they only have to remember one name, and keep that name out there on everything you write and sell. Otherwise they have to remember two names and it just gets harder.

Have your market in mind when you design your knives. Mine was set in concrete, making guns, accuracy was my supreme goal. When it came to knives, an absolute and total dedication to function was the frontier I chose to explore. It may sound simple, but I am still learning. My library is extensive, some books only have a single sentence of importance, others continue to offer understanding. I try to budget at least 2 hours a day to reading. When a passage that interests you has a reference, go to it.

I can justify each and every aspect of my knives, and talk about it until folks eyes glass over. Sometimes I keep talking long after their question has been answered to their satisfaction.

Should you chose art, go for it - read about the artists you seek to honor. Not just what they create, but their motivation, the emotion that speaks through their art to you. I have learned from Abe Lincoln George Patton, Winston Churchill, Robert Henri, Henry David Thoreau, Paul Wellman, Steven Vogel and many others. Knife makers, Michael Price's father, Rudy Ruana and many who's names are unknown. I once saw a knife design in the lips of Lauren Bacall, (a photograph in a restaurant while eating breakfast), the image continues to inspire me. Mother nature is a great teacher.

Your time at sea inspires you, I can see it in your knives, nurture it and you will have a real blend in your knives. The geometry of fish and vessels is a rich arena.

I gave myself a great birthday present, Sept 17, 1979, I quit TV. I have a lot of time to devote to the study of what ever interests me.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
cfendley

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:11:36 PM »

Nice job Dan, glad to see someone else likes 440C. I first started using 440C under Gil Hibbens wing and I've tried different steels and have got some new stuff from crucible now but I keep going back to 440C as the best all around stainless knife steel. It just flat out works and makes a beautiful knife too.

DanatSavageSmith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 11:06:54 PM »

Thanks, although, I must admit I have begun experimenting with damascus too.  I'd like to learn everything available in order to improve my art, if I ever stop thinking that way I'll stop making knives.

-Dan

www.savagesmith.com
DanatSavageSmith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 05:06:10 PM »

Okay, I just spent the whole day building an "In-Stock" page onto my website, so everybody go look at it! 
I'm also having a 30% off sale and the prices have been adjusted accordingly.

www.savagesmith.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: