Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A new DVD, Origonal Knife Talk  (Read 6123 times)
davidm
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 06:48:11 PM »

I enjoyed the video very much also.  An excellent resource, going back 15-20 yrs. ...to think how much has changed since then.  Knives have come a long way.   I would like to pick up more videos in this style, visiting different makers.. really offers a good perspective. 

Ed
If you're reading.. a time-line question (the video recorded in 1992.)   You said on the film that anyone buying one of your knives would be getting the benefit of 3 yrs. of your experience.  Which would put it at 1989,  does that mark a beginning point of some sort, forging? 
David
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 09:00:30 PM »

David:
I have no idea what I was referring to with that statement. There have been many milestones since I started making knives. I had been pretty serious about making knives for about 30 years at that point. Each plateau looked to be the top, then another mountain to climb.

I will go back and watch it again and try to figure what I was talking about.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Larrin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 01:18:25 AM »

Well I'm done with the DVD I'll give a little review.

Overall DVD: The quality was not up to DVD standards, but that is understandable knowing it came from an old recording, it did not detract from the movie, and there weren't any weird warps or blurs or anything. The interviews were all clear and easy to listen to, one thing that many knife movies are lacking. The biggest complaint I had was the location of the chapters for scene selection, they should have been located at the beginning of ever knifemaker.

Content: The interviews were all entertaining. The only thing that could have been better is if I could have been there to ask my own questions. The biggest surprise was how interesting John Smith was to me. He appeared to be a very precise forger, keeping everything square, flat, and precise. I also enjoyed his designs and his heat treating process. Howard Clark is someone I have heard about and read about but never seen his knives or him, so it was nice to see him, and what he has learned from Verhoeven. The biggest disappointment was how short the Daryl Meier interview was, I would have preferred it was much longer. It was interesting to hear about Ed's experiences with Wayne Goddard, as well as the Wayne Goddard interview. In my opinion, Wayne Goddard is a living legend in the knife industry. As far the interview with Ed, it is interesting to see what stays the same with his knives and theories, and what changes. It was nice to see some of Willow Bow too.
davidm

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 04:26:48 AM »

Ed,
I listened to it again and discovered I may have heard it wrong.. You were saying (to paraphrase) that if someone were to buy one of your knives, they would be getting 52 hours of your time and the three years of experiences that have gone into the knife.

..the first time listening i thought i heard it as "experience"..w/  no "s"...sorry for the mistake.

..was this "three years" about the sheephorn?
David
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 04:59:36 AM by David Mullikin » Logged
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 05:53:45 AM »

David:
I just watched it again, first time in years. I have no idea what I was thinking about when I said 3 years. 3 instead of 30? Who knows, I would not have caught it if you had not asked, now I wonder?

I greatly enjoyed watching it again, there is a lot of experience put together that existed at that time in the world of knives. As far as I know most of us are still making knives. I lost track of Dan Hockensmith, have not heard from him in a long time.

Charles Dragon was highly intelligent and a true artist when it came to video productions. Charles had a dream and wanted to put together a monthly video showcasing as many knifemakers as he could to preserve as much of the history of the art of blacksmithing as he could. He read something that Bruce Voyles had written that inspired him, I vaguely remember him mentioning it but cannot remember the exact thought. I believe he talked to Bruce and went to work. The history of the world of knives would be much more complete had he not left us so soon. Charles Dragon was a good man, this DVD is as much a tribute to him and his dream as to the makers who appear in the DVD.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
David Jacobson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 03:50:14 PM »

I Just got all three of the DVDs. Thanks Ed and Jeremy for geting them out so fast.
I wached the KTO DVD first. It is realy good.

There is nothing like sittin back watching and listening to the roar of the forge and hammers pounding on my TV after a long day of forging and grinding.

Dave

David Jacobson
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: