Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A new DVD, Origonal Knife Talk  (Read 7053 times)
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: January 07, 2008, 09:27:03 AM »

The year was 1992, A friend I had never met called me wanting to do a video. A few months later we met when he drove to my shop.

Charles Dragon was a true patriot in the world of knives. A genius and highly educated with a masters degree in history he wanted to start a series of videos capturing on film as many knifemakers as possible thus preserving a time in the history of the forged blade.

Over the next 4 days he recorded me in my shop and around the ranch on video tape. This became my first Video, "From Bearing to Blade".

Charles also wanted to start a video series recording the thoughts of as many makers of the time as he could. His first interviews were with Daryl Meier,
J.P. Miller
Dan Hockensmith
Ed Fowler
Howard Clark
Wayne Goddard
John Smith
He first named the video "The Men Who Forge Hot Steel" then picking a phrase I used my my video called it "Knife Talk".

The interview with Daryl Meyer is outstanding, he was the first to my knowledge to make fancy Damascus with the American Flag repeated along the blade. This knife was presented to Ronald Regan as I remember. Listening to Daryl is a real treat, his knowledge and quest for more is to this day unequaled. Daryl studied the science, added his knowledge and earned a position of leadership in the world of knives. When I started talking about multiple quench it was widely rejected as being misleading, I talked to Daryl at a Blade Show in Atlanta and he said "sure it will work" and was one who gave me the courage to continue my experiments.

Charles left us on the anniversary of JFK's assassination a few years later and his recorded VHS was not circulated widely. I talked to the other makers on the VHS and asked them it they would have any reservations about Jeremy recording the information in DVD format and distributing it. All Agreed that it would be a good to share the information, I have not been able to locate Dan Hockensmith but hopefully he will not object.

Jeremy informes me that the DVD is ready for distribution.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 01:28:20 PM by Ed Fowler » Logged

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Larrin
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 02:49:57 PM »

Sounds like a great DVD, can't wait to buy it.
Arno

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 05:34:48 PM »

Lucky guy... I?m waiting Knife Talk DVDs #1 & #2  since september 4th... Who knows if an unexpected delivery will occur in the next four months.

'Salut'

Arno

?Those without power cannot defend freedom.?
busterbones
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 06:33:26 PM »

Arno,

I shipped out the DVD's to you way back then. I will look for the tracking reciept.
However i will ship out new ones to you tomorrow by express mail with my apologies.
I will add the latest dvd to the shipment as well. Please contact me anytime busterbones@mac.com

Thanks,
Jeremy
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 06:34:33 PM »

Wow!
That is a Must Have DVD.

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

Larrin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 10:20:22 AM »

I clicked on the picture on the front page for the DVD and it says I'm not able to view the store.
Harold Locke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 10:38:32 AM »

Like Larrin I am ready to buy the new DVD now. I joined pay pal for just this sort of thing.

I clicked on the link and was refused access. In addition I would like to buy some more T-shirts and a KTO hat.

Thanks

Harold Locke
busterbones
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 12:15:46 PM »

Everyone should have access to the store now. Sorry did not realize i had not set the permissions.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Harold Locke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 05:08:58 PM »

Jeremy,

I got my order in and the link worked great. Glad you put in access for regular credit and atm cards. I might drop paypal. I haven't made up mind on that though.

Thanks,

Harold Locke
Harold Locke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 10:46:52 AM »

Wow,

The mail is working great. Ordered the Retro DVD on last Friday, received it on Monday. watched and enjoyed it on Tuesday. I have to watch a couple of more times to pull out some lessons. I enjoyed meeting that group of knifemakers.

Thanks Ed and Jeremy

Harold Locke
Arno

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 02:59:58 PM »

Friends!

I?d like to share my happiness on receiving the DVDs this afternoon.

Grateful to Jeremy!

(I?ve already seen the first one and... lots of questions to next tuesday!)

'Salut'

Arno

?Those without power cannot defend freedom.?
David Jacobson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 10:23:30 AM »

Im still waiting for my two dvd set. I almost forgot all about it. I cant wait to see them, I've heard nothing but good coments on them.

David Jacobson

David Jacobson
caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 11:06:37 PM »

OK, against my better judgement I stayed up to watch the KTO retro DVD, let me just say this should be standard issue equiptment to every beginning maker. If I hadn't already explored some of these avenues I would have even more questions and a well of never ending enthusiasm. This is a great gift to the bladesmithing world and I loved seeing it compiled together. There was no bias or "because", just this is me and this is what I do and why. Thanks, it was the boost I needed ! This should be made available on a larger scale, it would benifit everyone who saw it.

Don't take life to seriously, you'll never make it out alive.  - Van Wilder
Larrin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 11:09:56 PM »

I've watched a little bit of the retro DVD and it's pretty interesting so far, can't wait to see the rest. The Daryl Meier interview was a great way to start it off.
cdent

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 10:01:34 AM »

Thanks Jeremy for getting the disc out to me. Got to watch some of it and it's good that you folks were able to save these recordings. I have a Howard Clark disc from about a year later that he really expands on his comments from that time. Good stuff.

Thanks again,   Craig
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: