Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Photo posting tutorial - Thanks Phil  (Read 4531 times)
radicat
Trade Count: (0)
« on: November 05, 2007, 06:34:06 AM »

Whether you have files of photos that you've taken or have saved a photo from somewhere on the net into a file, follow Phil's tutorial to post it on the forum. If you aren't satisfied with the result, just go back in using the "modify" feature and uncheck the item, then re-post with another.

I saved a copy of Phil's posting tutorial that he added to his Imaging tutorial. I took note of the file name and  the folder that I saved it into for finding it when I go to retrieve it. Now, I'll use his tutorial to re-post it as an
additional sticky post.            Thanks, Phil   

EDIT:
This great tip for attachments from an album (another option)is from Phil's post, found below:

Picasa must allow you to get a link to your photos. That link will end in .jpg. That .jpg should be put between [ i m g ] and [ / i m g ] (don't use spaces between the letters)..
It looks like you have the resolution on your photos at 96 ppi, try dropping it down to 72 ppi that should bring down the file size.
To post direct from your desktop the file size has to be 100 KB or less. You would control the file size when you Save For Web, in Picasa.

http://knifetalkonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=514.msg3367#msg3367

* 284928918.jpg (72.98 KB, 600x600 - viewed 357 times.)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 12:38:16 PM by radicat » Logged

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 08:50:12 AM »

Without PhilL's help Tena would not be able to post photos to our site, his contribution to the world of knives had lelped many and will continue to do so.

I second the thought, Thanks PhilL.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 01:24:35 PM »

Aw shucks folks...it wern't nuthin'.

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 06:47:46 PM »

I think I have to add this because some folks are still having problems posting pics.

If the photos are already on a website or on and album site there is a URL for that photo, (usually ending in .jpg).
To post that photo on the forums you need to HIGHLITE and COPY (Control and the C keys) the URL.
That URL is then PASTED (Control and the V keys) between bracketed [...] IMG and /IMG, in your post.
You'll see what it actually looks like in the tutorial below.

I use Picturetrail as my album site, there's other good album sites there's no reason to switch.
Finding the URL's for you photos should be easy to find.
Here's what it looks like on Picturetrail, the steps should be similar on yours.

* get_URL_tut.jpg (82.3 KB, 720x812 - viewed 314 times.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 06:54:39 PM by PhilL » Logged

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.

PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 07:31:27 PM »

I know I covered this in the Image Editing tutorial, but since the question has come up again I did another tutorial on How To Resize Photos

I'm using Photoshop, but even the simplest image editing program will allow you do the same thing. You want your photos to be no more than 11" wide. Quality I normally keep between 30 and 40, never more than 50.  You can upload from your desktop pics up to 100k, if you follow my reccomendations most of your photos will be under 50k.

If you have any questions you can ask here, someone else maybe wondering the same thing.

* resize.jpg (93.69 KB, 648x792 - viewed 291 times.)

gmusic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 11:10:07 AM »

Hey Phil,

I still can't seem to get the sizing correct.  What would the proper pixel size and resolution for a full screen photo on this site?

Thanks,   Gary

Knives are man's best fiend............

www.musicmadeknives.com
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 03:43:31 PM »

Hiya Gary,
In my tutorial "How I Do Image Editing"
http://knifetalkonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=91.0

I explain that the Image Size, an image that is 10 inches wide is a good size. An 8" X 10" is a standard print size. So, computer screens resolution is 72 pixels per inch so 10 inches wide would be 720 ppi by 8 inches high or 576 ppi.

When you Save your Image for the Web in an image editing program you want a file that's small (and will load quick), but that looks good. I usually set the Quality of my images in Photoshop to Medium or 50, and see if I can go even lower in quality without the image suffering. Meaning I don't want the pixels to clump or have halos. You'll be surprised at how low you can go. People tend to want to push the Quality all the way UP, but usually all that gets you is a file that's just too big.

KTO allows you to load a photo up to 100kb, my photos are often 25kb or smaller. So far nobody has called me on posting sub-standard pics.

So, you have two things you have to balance, Image Size and Image Quality. Too big an image and folks will have to scroll to view it, too large a file and it won't even load.

I hope this helps.

gmusic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 06:22:10 PM »

Thanks Phil, it does help.  I think my sizing is good but I have another issue.

Take for instance the pictures in "next Willow Bow Seminar".  Ed's pictures are basically the same size as mine within the same topic, but his do not require a click to view full size, they just show up that way.
When you click mine up, you have to scroll to view them.

Can I overcome that somehow?

www.musicmadeknives.com
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 06:37:10 PM »

Gary, my guess would be that Ed is linking his pics from his album site and not from his desktop.
If you're reading this right now come into Chat and let's ask him.

PS, I just went to take a look at Ed's post with the pics and I was correct, they're a link off his album site.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:37:26 AM by PhilL » Logged

gmusic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 10:58:51 PM »

Thanks Phil.................................

That makes sense.........sort of.  I'm in a pixel haze.

www.musicmadeknives.com
Gus Mundt

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 08:17:09 AM »

Thank you PhilL i was having all sorts of problems trying to post pictures and i read your tutorial it it helped out.

Gustav Mundt
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 09:09:37 AM »

Gus, if you need any additional help or have any questions just shoot me an email.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: