Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ruana  (Read 19144 times)
davidm
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 07:41:33 PM »

Thank you Ed.  On a level of style, it seems the great makers of history (personal observations) have some distinct and identifyable style.  A tradition of making knives with common threads, materials or methods, a signature that can't be copied.
What I see in your knives, you have imparted the tradition in much the same way.  This is what I like.  It reminds me of the old Italian Violin makers, the stories, the way the craft was passed down.  There is a lot of worth to this, as far as historically, the value to future generations.  What is being given is beyond the ordinary, in today's world of fast money and fast production.  I've watched a show on T.V. about a man in Texas who has been making cowboy boots for many years.  What he does, the process, fitting each boot, inspiring to watch!

I do like the craft, enjoy hearing about it,  being passed down and sharing of knowledge, that you are doing and have been doing.   A truly worthwhile pursuit, in this ever-changing, rapidly moving world.  I think Antonio Stradivari kept making violins into his late 80s or 90s.  I hope you will do the same for knives!   Many people are too busy to ever slow down and smell the flowers or appreciate the beauty that real life offers.  Your work speaks of freedom, pursuit, and tradition.  Inspiring at every level. 
End of the flattery, for today.  But, always a joy to see.  Thank you Ed!
David
radicat
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 09:47:11 AM »

Just in case you haven't seen what Rudy looked like. Check out the bowies and other styles too.

http://rhruana.com/
Harry Mathews

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 01:51:28 AM »

I know that this is an old thread, but thought I would add some observations of mine. There was, back in 1971 or 72, a gun store in Atlanta called Dean's that carried some hand made knives. Randall, Ruana, and Morseth were the makers carried mostly. One day I was there, I bought a Morseth Ozark hunter. I passed on several Ruanas because of their crude finish and uncomfortable handles. The handles on the Ruanas in my price range were thicker than they were tall and very uncomfortable. They felt better in the hand with the blade turned sideways. There were several Ruana Bowies in the showcase that were awesome in my young mind, but just getting out of college and starting work, I was really stretching it with the Morseth. ($32.00) One of the Bowies was similar to the one shown, but the others had a much wider blade in relation to the length. All were stick tang type construction and had scalloped butt caps and the same scalloping behind the guard shown in the one here. The scallops appeared to be cast in and not tabs that could be bent and the textured surface of the brass blade catcher appeared to be dents applied after the casting. The one that caught my eye had a walnut handle that was swamped in the middle and felt like it was part of your hand. It had a brass guard and buttcap with the brass blade catcher on the back of the 8" blade. The price for each was around $100-$125. Those knives either hung around for several years or the store ordered more. About the time I had scraped together the money for the one with the walnut handle and made the trip to Atlanta the knife was gone, and I missed it. Never walk off from a good knife that is screaming out at you to pick it up! I have done it more than once and it was a mistake every time.

I ended up with several of Ruana's knives and used them a good bit over the years. They held up well even with the abuse I put them through. The edges were a little thick for my use but could be sharpened easily. The only problem I ever had with one was with the elk handles swelling if they got wet. It never seemed to shrink back when it dried out and I had to file it down several times. I ended up soaking it in epoxy, solved the problem and blew any collectors value at the same time. The blades seem to me to be sort of soft, which might explain their toughness, but they held an edge very well. They would not stay with my Morseth, but neither did much else and my Randall number 3 would not stay with the Ruana as far as edge holding. For the money in the early 70's, it was hard to beat a Ruana for a knife that was going to be put to hard use. I keep a close watch out for one that has been down the road and back even now.

Harry Mathews
Second Twin
Twin Blades
www.twinxblades.com
Member of The Knifemaker's Guild
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 08:15:17 PM »

Hopefully there are no old threads on this forum. All await the thoughts of those who wish to comment!

I also have left knives I liked only to have them haunt me later.
I also purchased one from a dealer only to have the person I talked to go to lunch and another emplolyee sold it. I still dream of that knife!

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
romrix

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 03:23:59 AM »

I have an old (1938~44) three-pin Ruana knife up for sale if any of you guys are interested. Sorry if this isn't the proper place to post this but I was just reading your posts and thought I would give you guys a shot at it before I put it up for auction or anything.
I have photos and stuff, I don't know how to post them but I can email them. I don't have the sheath with it though. I've had it for a long time and just dug it out of my tool box the other day. I used it at work doing drywall, cutting holes in it for outlets. Didn't know what I had back then!
My email is (if it lets me post it here),
romrix at hotmail dot com

Neil.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: