Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The knife I use  (Read 11211 times)
ironcrossforge
Trade Count: (0)

http://www.lonhumphreyknives.com

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2007, 08:23:37 AM »

This is a small utility knife I made for the show that wasn't good enough, so I thought I'd abuse it.

52100 steel buffalo horn and NS guard and pins    

* next batch 017.jpg (39.67 KB, 639x480 - viewed 468 times.)

* next batch 018.jpg (33.55 KB, 639x480 - viewed 436 times.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 09:08:35 AM by radicat » Logged

radicat
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 09:05:16 AM »

The knife may not be something you want to take to a show (although I've seen a lot worse sell). Only you can make that decision. But, I don't believe you'll see any flaw in its performance in the field. And, if you want, you can change the grind, shape, or whatever. You're a knifemaker.         Clay

I made this topic a sticky. Good idea from ironcrossforge. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 09:13:19 AM by radicat » Logged
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 04:54:02 PM »

The time for testing is before you go to the trouble to put a handle on the blade and spend the time finishing it up.

After working up a new method I usually spend a lot of time testing, then after it has passed the tests make one, finish it and  carry it for enough time to find any weak points. I carried my first 52100 blade for a year before offering one for sale.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
radicat
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 01:41:36 AM »

This thread was started with the subject being a hand-forged knife that is actually used. It may not be what knife enthusiasts think of as an "everyday carry" (EDC) knife, but why not? That term can mean more than the typical manufactured latest designs.

I purchased a Bowen belt buckle knife about 30 years ago from a law enforcement supply store in a Maryland suburb of Washington D.C.. The only time I haven't worn this knife is when its possession would land me in jail.

I've only had one occasion to use it in defense and the guy had his hands on me (for a second). I had a 357 magnum about a foot from my face when I came close to pulling it on another occasion. Someone else with a gun changed his mind about that being a good idea, before I got the opportunity to go for it.

Those situations and the fact that it's still razor sharp, and in excellent condition, make it the best investment in a knife that I have ever made. Of course I have always had some work knife in my pocket. The original belt is long worn out.

The laws in my state make it necessary to have a concealed carry permit, since it is a dagger. The Bowen company carries single edged as well, at great prices.

There is no reason a knifemaker can't make one. There is a slight curvature from the blade back, to allow for the proper lay of the buckle against the belt. When in the hand, it is as though it were part of the hand. When worn, it has no appearance of being anything other than a nice buckle. The taking of it from the belt to hand is a natural, very fast maneuver, with occasionally practice.. The back of the belt serves as a  strop to keep it in tune after rare use.

This is a photo saved from the Bowen web-site.  http://www.bowenknife.com/

* bk1624.jpg (58.95 KB, 550x413 - viewed 282 times.)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 02:11:17 AM by radicat » Logged
ironcrossforge

http://www.lonhumphreyknives.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 09:23:51 AM »

funny story about my knife....there is a supervisor where i work that carries a smith and wesson knife hes always having me tighten the screws on it ..one day he was talking about how well it holds a edge and this was right after i started carrying mine....well long story short..the knives went edge to edge....he was not happy about the nick in his edge...and mine well what can i say i didnt have any complantes about it not chipping or deforming........

kbaknife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 04:09:02 PM »

Here is the knife I wear on a daily basis.
It's either the first or second kife I made after I returned from Willow Bow and the "Seminar".
This was made with everything "fresh" in my mind that I had learned.
I use it regularly and have just this week dressed a small handful of deer and it just keeps askin' for more!
She's a true friend.

www.andersenforge.com

When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
radicat
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 04:20:31 PM »

Karl, you've made some amazing knives and I've wondered how you could let go of them. Now I know.
kbaknife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 05:14:52 AM »

If I don't "let go of them" I don't eat!

www.andersenforge.com

Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
tomh

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 03:34:14 AM »

Karl that is a beaut.
kbaknife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 06:58:19 PM »

OK, guys!
There's 190 members on thias forum.
Let's see some EDCs!!!

www.andersenforge.com

Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
bg7m

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 05:32:10 AM »

My EDC is a folder I made about 4 years ago, ATS-34 blade and carbor fiber scales. The hunting knife is one I forged from a 1.300 dia. 52100 steel ball. I made it for myself to test during hunting season. This is it's second season and it's working very well. Thanks,   Buddy

* 100_0025.jpg (52.04 KB, 500x375 - viewed 336 times.)
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 11:06:48 PM »

Very nice looking knives Sir!!
Thanks for sharing them with us!

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 10:35:45 PM »

Thats a real nice look'n hunter! Nice work.

Don't take life to seriously, you'll never make it out alive.  - Van Wilder
DanatSavageSmith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 03:34:59 AM »

My EDC is a Shadowfox folder, given to me by my teacher, Rod Chappel as a reward for assembling about a hundred more of them for him.  This knife is the only one that we semi-mass produce and it has never failed me, even when I've roughly abused it (cutting polypropylene hausers, chopping down an alder tree to win a bet, etc.)  It has a 4" 154CM blade cryogenically heat treated to 60-61Rc, the pin is 7/16" in diameter 440C as are the divider barrels, the lining is titanium (not sure what alloy) and the scales are glass reinforced nylon.  It's built to be tough!  It is 10" open and 6" closed.  I made a water formed leather belt pouch for it and it almost never leaves my side, except when I have to go into the Seattle city limits, they have some truly stupid laws about knives there.

http://www.geocities.com/chappelknives/Shadowfox.jpg

-Dan

Aun Aprendo, Noli non legitime carbor undem est.
www.savagesmith.com
caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 03:08:03 PM »

My EDC is a knife I made at Eds last seminar. 52100 and Willow bow sheep horn. 4 inch blade and sharp as all get out ! I know what your thinking Ed, we used JD 5160 load shaft steel. This was a piece that Eldon had in his truck and let me play with. Grin I try to abuse it every chance I get but so far its won every time.

* 006.JPG (48.43 KB, 448x336 - viewed 335 times.)

Don't take life to seriously, you'll never make it out alive.  - Van Wilder
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: