Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sharpening Blades  (Read 2416 times)
radicat
Trade Count: (0)
« on: September 12, 2007, 07:15:26 AM »

Remember those thoughts that came to you while you were blissfully bringing that edge to perfection and post them here. Tell us about your technique and/or problems encountered.

This article is not a quick-read, but it is excellent in content. It is in a forum that the cooks among you will like.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26036    

Pallavicini

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 10:32:02 AM »

Excellent suggestion, excellent comprehensive info about proper knife sharpening.
I never fail to be amazed by the amount of damage a relatively frail lady is capable to inflict upon kitchen cutlery, be it low quality cheap stuff, be it top notch cutlery.
My addiction to knife collecting began in fact while trying to resharpen a knife my brother had made out of a HSS saw. I ruined the edge a few times, got one on one instruction from a gun customizer who is also a very proficient knife sharpener, searched for info and bought all the literature mentioned in this very useful thread. Given enough time I eventually bought an assortment of stones, including fine/coarse india, the full Arkansas range, from soft through translucent, 6" and 8" DMT benchstones, Spyderco ceramic benchstones, most of the aligner systems mentioned there, the range of Japanese waterstones, and still looking.
While I favor using benchstones for pure sharpening pleasure, I do use the Spyderco 204 for most of kitchen knife maintenance, as it is fast, clean and almost idiot-proof, no mess, no oil, no water.
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 03:02:57 PM »

There is a joy to using a sharp knife that is only matched by the Zen relaxation that comes with stroking a blade against a stone.

In the mini-series Lonesome Dove, while sitting out on the porch after dinner, Bal the cook strokes his knife on a stone. Newt comments, "what's the matter Bal, won't that knife hold an edge?" Bal replies, "A knife is like a woman, you just gotta stroke them a little every day."

Use a knife, give it a couple of strokes. What you stroke it on is up to you; a slick, a stone, your hand, your jeans, a piece of cardboard or the bottom of a plate. Forget to stroke it and then you have dull knife, now you have to stroke it against something with some grit to it; a stone a piece of sandpaper, or a Sharpmaker again your choice. Push it or pull it the blade doesn't seem to care

I learned to sharpen a knife from my Mom when I was little. After I had sharpened my little knife she'd let me peel all of the potatoes for dinner. What a great Mom, I know she wanted to do it, but she let me.

There is a joy to putting a fine edge on a fine knife. So stroke one whenever you can.   Wink

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

radicat
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 09:02:18 PM »

You just had to mention your mom and make me cry!! That is a great memory. The kind that begins the         make-up of a person's character at an early age.      Thanks for sharing it with your friends.    Clay                       
davidm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 12:44:50 PM »

Two questions:

How do you know when you're sharpening a knife when you're done?  .. I remember reading an article that many people often oversharpen their knives.  Is it the even resistance you feel from the stone, against the edge that gives you the indication. 

What are the differences in sharpening on a stone, stropping w/ leather, or using a steel?  .. in which cases would you choose one over another? 
Thanks,
David
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 02:28:06 PM »

I'll take a shot at this one.
Sharpening with a stone removes metal and changes the edge of the blade.
Stropping helps remove the wire edge from the sharpening and helps polish it.
Using a smooth (slick) steel doesn't remove metal it just realigns the fine cutting edge of the blade.

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 05:01:05 PM »

It is kind of like when I came to the Willow Bow I had never used an arc welder. A gentleman came to the ranch who was an old hand at all ranch work, he had worked as a construction welder. I asked him for some coanching. His words remain in my brain. "If you can strike a match I can teach you how to weld".

Sharpening a knife is that simple. It is all the books about how to that make it seem like some scientific exploraton. Very soon Jeremy, Tena and I will have it all down in a dvd, simple, easy and no expensive set up. Just do it and have fun with it.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
kbaknife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 06:50:09 AM »

Q. Know how to keep a knife sharp?

A. Don't let it get dull.

www.andersenforge.com

When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
radicat
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 08:14:32 AM »

Good advice, Karl.
If I ever get around to making a new sheath for one of my big camp knives, I thought maybe I could glue
a thick piece of stropping leather to the face of it. If I have a liner that makes the sheath stiff, then that will give a good backing.

Somewhere, I saw a sheath for a machete size knife that was sewn together in the back and it served as a strop. Of course, the top of a boot is the most used.

A piece of fine water-proof sandpaper in the pocket is an alternative.             
Alan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 03:14:38 PM »

How I sharpen a knife
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NcbkL8DSehI" width="425px" height="350px" AllowScriptAccess="never" quality="high" wmode="transparent" /><noembed><object codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/NcbkL8DSehI" width="425px" height="350px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NcbkL8DSehI" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" /><param name="pluginspage" value="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></object>
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: