Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Shop Tips  (Read 32251 times)
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2007, 05:01:34 PM »

Soon this will be another major heading. This will be a place for us to post any shop tips we come across that make our job a little easier, better or more cost effective.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/

Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2009, 01:35:59 AM »

I just got a call from Eldon Perkins: He used to live on his home place, his water came from a well. Recently he moved to a place near town, the water he used comes from the City water supply.
He was having a lot of trouble etching his blades, a constant fight.

He could not figure why: He got to thinking - as we all do when something that shouldn't go wrong suddenly goes wrong. He decided maybe it was the water he was using mixing with his ferric chloride and decided to try an experiment.

He tried using distilled water and suddenly his blades etches like they used to - Absolute perfection. Evidently there are some variables in the city water that he did not have in his old well water. He also switched to some pure cotton wipes that have no garbage in them, just pure clean cotton and again immediate improvement.

Just a suggestion, if you are having trouble etching blades, try the distilled water and then some pure medical cotton wipes - just maybe it will work for you also.

cfendley
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2009, 01:34:23 PM »

Good tip on the water. Our city water tastes like its got more chlorine in it than a swimming pool. I save water from the dehumidifier in my basement for using in radiators, making leather dyes, etc.

bladesmith

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2010, 02:34:54 PM »

if you suffer from a skin burn, put egg white on it....the egg white is mostly protein, protein is what burn centers use to heal their patients....I have tried this it works great....repeat applying, you get instint pain relief and the scarring will almost be none existant....

Palmer.......................
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:36:28 PM by palmer » Logged

Water Quenching Steel for more than a Decade.
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2010, 03:11:01 AM »

Another tip from Eldon Perkins:
His father and grand father were both welders. Every now and them we get our eyes burned by a welding flash or what we call snow blind working in a field covered with snow in bright sunlight. Called snow blindness it is very painful and takes some time to heal, I was once totally blind for several days and it was no fun! Being miles from civilization all we had for medication was rags and snow, the cold helped a lot.

Eldon's dad taught him a very simple and immediate remedy, all you need is a potato, peel it, squeezed the potato juice into your eyes and the pain is immediately gone. I have not tried it, and hope I never have to, but if it works it sounds like a quick cure.

wnelson aka. dedox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2013, 10:31:03 PM »

heres a tip that I'm sure most of you have heard, but, here it is when you sand your blade squirt a solution of simple green on the paper and it starts cutting really good again, you can buy simple green at stores like menards.

"The enemy has only images and illusions behind which he hides his true motives. Destroy the image, and you will break the enemy."-Bruce Lee

?Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.?
― Albert Einstein
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2013, 05:38:09 AM »

I have used simple green on my stones, but never on a belt. Thanks wnelson, I will try it tomorrow.

Daniel Rohde (D-Vision)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2013, 01:18:42 PM »

Not sure how well on grinder belts but for hand sanding blades it works great and it works good on sharpening stones(oil stones)

Consistent, Repeatable Performance is the goal
http://www.rohdeedge.com/
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2013, 03:14:42 PM »

OK, I can understand - I believe one could get into trouble spraying liquids onto grinding belts, and breathing the mist all day.

Hand sanding - you bet.

mreich

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2013, 04:12:16 PM »

I don't do much dry grinding. I set up my TW90 to grind wet, and it works so much better, I just hate grinding dry and constantly dipping the blade.

I never have to remove the blade from the belt- no dunking/wasting time. If the blade starts to get warm, I'm pushing too hard.

I always put a couple drops of simple green in the gallon jug that waters my grinder. It does make a big difference.
wnelson aka. dedox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2013, 08:03:50 PM »

oh, yeah, sorry i meant hand sandpaper Tongue

"The enemy has only images and illusions behind which he hides his true motives. Destroy the image, and you will break the enemy."-Bruce Lee

?Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.?
― Albert Einstein
Daniel Rohde (D-Vision)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2013, 06:46:12 PM »

this is a soap recipe that my sister fond and made(she read a book on it) and I used once after grinding some knives and my hands get really black and I usually have trouble getting my hands looking nice(most of the time my hands are a disaster) but this soap is encredeble! I used it and it cleaned my hand up great and one nice thing about using oils to clean your hands is is leaves them clean and soft it's great it's a little grimy(not bad I thought it felt good) but I think you guys should try and let me know how it works for you it it only took about 5-10 minutes to make-so here it is.

Simple Scrubs to Make by Stacey Karen
Basic Ingredients:
sugar--brown, white or raw
oil--(coconut oil is what we use haven't tried the others)
    grape seed oil
    sweet almond oil
    avocado oil
    olive oil
    jojoba oil
Basic Recipe:
1 c. sugar
Add in ? to ? c. oil until slushy, but not runny.

so here's how to do it if your using coconut oil let it set till liquid put sugar in a bowl the as you stur the sugar pour the oil in
add oil till it's slush but not to runny
and if you want it to smell nice add drops of something like mint or lemon extract
you should really try this it works great!
let me know how it works  
DV...

larnotlars

If everyone knows IT, IT likely ain't true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2013, 03:26:16 PM »

Dang DV!

I gotta try that. One old rule of thumb is, "Never go to a Doctor with black Crud under his fingernails". I am sick of spending 20 minutes scrubbing my nails after every forge day so that I am less in violation of that rule at work. Hand soap just doesn't cut it.

Lar

Ever since I took up forging, I have noticed that I am much less likely to hit my thumb with the hammer! 8-$
Daniel Rohde (D-Vision)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2013, 11:30:05 PM »

I'm glad you'll trying it it really is more of a "scrub" than a soap it's allot like soggy snow so don't think yours is to thick(it's not like a soft smooth soap).
and when using get your hands wet put some of the "scrub" in your hands and "scrub" for about 30-60 seconds and your hands should be soft and clean it works for me I hope it works for you
let me know how it works- I'd like to know.
Dv... 

billy brewton

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2013, 08:37:08 PM »

Hey D, something that works also instead of sugar. Kosher salt. But if u got any cuts on your hands burns like hell. Also there is a commercial product called Soyl it has ground soybean hulls in it works great to
jared williams

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2014, 01:00:46 AM »

I do a lot of stacked leather handles that are wrapped around a curved spacer. here is a vise I slightly modified to help with clamping the leather pieces up with. its a drill press vise with some holes drilled into the top of the jaws that I can move around and then a leather strap connected to two of them that will conform to the shape of the curve that is on the spacer. it cost me $20 and took about 15 minutes to make.

When the student is ready the teacher will appear.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: