Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: DVD purchase  (Read 5275 times)
1whitefoot
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2006, 08:52:20 PM »

Hi,
Thought I would stop bye and say hi.
I just put in and order for the DVD and look forward to getting it.

PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 09:34:09 AM »

Ed told me that Joe Szilaski would have the DVD's at NYCKS and that I should meet Jeremy while I was therer. I purchased the DVD from Joe, and I got a chance to hang out and chat with Jeremy. Jeremy is a very nice guy and a true knifeknut.

I watched the DVD this morning, and it's great. Anytime you get the chance to spend some time with Ed Fowler, in person or on video, take it. There is something that draws you in when you find someone as passionate about their work as Ed.

This new DVD is not as all encompasing as the original VHS tape. I don't think it was meant to be. This is a lot more in depth, focusing mainly on 52100 and it's attributes. The original video takes you throught the whole knife making process. I can't tell you hao many people that have seen my pronghorn and then seen the video, but it's a lot. It never fails to amaze people as to how much work Ed puts into one of his knives. I think in the new DVD he says something like 58 hours per blade. After viewing people have to take a second longer look at the knife. Always with a lot more respect.

This new DVD is not a replacement for the VHS tape. If you don't have the tape get that first. If you want to get more depth then the DVD is a must have.

Finally, I want to thank Jeremy for pointing me to this website. I will be a regular visitor to this forum.
Ed, my friend, of course much success to you.

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 03:21:16 PM »

Hello PhilL:
Glad to hear you were able to meet Jeremy. Like you said, he is good people and without his help we would never been able to put the new DVD together.

The first Video was the start. At the time I believed that we had all the answers, little did I know what was to come. Rex saw the first Video and volunteered to join in the persuit of Excalibur. At the time we made the first video 100 cuts on test rope was a lot, a single 90 degree flex was a real achievement. 

We were very lucky when Rex called me and offered the use of his laboratory, his kowledge and the 5 1/2 inch round bars of steel available and a way to work the steel down to a size that I could handle with my hammers. With a lot of encouragment from Rex we started a journey that after 100's of experiments we feel we still have room to see more. 

This DVD is about our quest, the lessons we have learned over the years. The secrets to Excalibur
are not any simple events, but a vast combination of doing everything right and the application of large amounts of elbow grease. I feel that many bladesmiths before us knew the secrets, the methods that led to the development of Great blades, but they for the most part kept them secret as this was their bread and butter and the less their competition knew the greater their advantage in the market place.

The information that we communicate in this DVD is not theory or what we thinks works, it is all about what we know works and works well, all of it is backed by Rex's work in the Lab. I have tried to write about what we learned as we progressed, but to cover the information in this DVD would take reams of paper. In the DVD Rex explains what happens while I work, I feel this makes a great presentation. Any bladesmith who wishes to apply some of the knowledge to his knives will not be wasting time, we already did that for you through the 100's of test blades that went into developing the methods presented. I do not mean to say you need not do any testing on your own, testing blades is the only way you will know what you personally have achieved.

Great knives and fine grain go together. When we started our work a #7 grain was known as fine grain, a #10 grain was the theoritical limit for 52100. We soon achieved #10 grain, and now routinely achieve #14 and finer. Fine grain is not the whole story, it has to be supported by a microstructure that is consistent with our goals of excellence. When Rex got back to the laboratory he put the microscope to work on the blade we tested in the DVD and called me to announce that we had achieved what we were looking for.

Then the hardened portion of the blade failed, the seperation was a tear along grain boundries rather than a break though the grain. The hardened portion was supported by ultra fine uniform banding, the microstructure that made the test blade as great as she was.

Those who watch the DVD will witness the development of the technology of the great Wootz blades using a modern steel. What this means is that blade smiths now have the technology to make knives that our clients can absolutely depend on when survival depends on a superior blade. Blades of this nature are also an absolute joy to experience in everyday life, be it opening envelopes or cutting sheetrock. These blades are strong, tough cut exceptionally well and are easy to sharpen.

We devoted over 8 years to put the informaton in one place, it is not the work of one or two men, it is the result of sharing informatioin from many men who sought to make better tools for man. Men like Achim Wirtz, Eldon Perkins, Jeffrey Davidson, Joe Szilaski and so many more.

I have got to again thank Jeremy Rivera, for without his support, knowledge and commitment to make it available to all at a very reasonable price the DVD would not have happened.

Thanks for the visit PhilL

Yours Truly
Ed Fowler

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
hillsmithy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 12:15:17 PM »

I'm sold!  I just placed my order. Can't wait to get it.  Todd
Jose Reyes

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 03:00:30 PM »

Hi Guys,

I liked the DVD but agree with Phil that, at least for the collector, the vhs should come first. This new DVD covers the forging and metallurgical aspects for the bladesmith but I'd like to see the next DVD go into detail regarding the overall design of the knife/guard/sheath and your methods for choosing and curing sheephorn. The function of your guard/sheath combination and your ability to bring out the natural beauty in the sheephorn while maintaining an ergonomic grip sets your knives apart from the rest, imo, and it would be nice to see you working through the entire process. Best of luck with this new forum and I hope volume 2 of the new DVD will be available soon... Grin

Alan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 11:38:08 PM »

I also would like to see a sheath made....from start to finish.

Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 11:41:33 PM »

Hello and welcome Jose;
Thank you for your kind words. We had one goal for the first DVD, that was to put on record all the developments we have achieved with 52100. I was going to write it up, but that would take reams of paper so when Jeremy offered to make the DVD for us it was an easy decision to make.

We decided on some rules before we started filming. We would use no big words that would require a degree in the science of metals to understand. While our work is backed up by the science, we wanted to keep it simple and still pay attention to how to make it word details. Rex had to use a couple of big words describing the steel, but everything else is readily understandable.

We do intend to post some photomicrographs on this form at a later date for those who want to see the grain size and distribution of carbides.

Any bladesmith who watches the DVD will know what variables he can introduce into his knives. None of the events described in the DVD will hurt the performance qualities of the steel. The more he can incorporate into his blades, the better they should perform.

For those who do not believe our methods work, I invite you to make some blades and test them in your shop and see if they work. Testing is easy and the tests we demonstrate are valid indicators of performance.

The edge flex, test for cutting performance are easy, the torque wrench is another valuable tool. With these easy tests you will be able to monitor the performace of your blades. I urge you to keep notes and most importantly have fun with it.

When we finished the DVD, I became a little depressed, I actually believed we had gone as far as we could in the persuit of the High Endurance Performance Blade. Then I woke up, thought of some variables we could still work with and have got my motivation back. There is so much to learn about lady knife that I seriously doubt that there is an end to what could be.

I talked to Jeremy yesterday, he is very anxious to come to the Willow Bow and film more aspects of the knives we make. The thoughts about the sheath are absolutely a great idea, as well as the sheep horn and the relationship a knife handle can have on the hand that holds her. More DVD's Will be available in the future.

Jose Reyes

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 12:51:07 PM »

Thanks for the welcome, Ed. I think there's always something more to test and research, especially if that mindset helps to motivate. For me the reward is in the final creation so even if you decide to stick with this current "recipe" I hope you stay busy and keep trying to make your next Excalibur.

WetJumpr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 03:53:55 PM »

Ed,
The new "Knife Talk" DVD is great! Much better production over the last one; the graphics, music, audio weaving, I wacthed it all the way through in one sitting, and occasionally go back and review my favorite parts too.

My suggestions for the new production would include 1. a montage of the progression of the steel from raw material to billet all the way to finished knife.  2. A quick tour of the Metallurgy Lab and photos of what they see under the microscope, and 3. Close ups! CUs draw a viewer into the action. But be careful! You'll have to devise a shield (preferably glass) for the lens and some kind of protective insulator for the camera.

Ed, I absolutely love the Bowie you made me! The longer I wear it, use it and care for it the better it gets! I will post a picture of it here on the forum.
God bless,
Stan
danbot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 01:23:55 AM »

Thank-you Ed for sending me your Knife Talk DVD so quickly.

I watched it twice over the weekend and I am still digesting what I learned.  I have a much better understanding now of what you have been talking about.  There is a lot of information on the DVD and I will have to watch it a couple more times to let it really sink in.  Rex did an excellent job of explaning the science behind the "Wootz".  I look forward to doing some practical experimentation in the near future.  I also look forward to your next DVD project.  Any time in the forseeable future?
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 11:35:18 AM »

Thanks for the kind comments Dan. Any questions you come up with while working with your blades are welcome on the form.

Rex and I are going to try to get together next summer. Just may be more information on the way.

There are many critics who don't think much of the knowledge we present in the DVDs. When you talk to them, just ask "How to you test your knifes?' and What Guarantee do you offer?
Some only test for one aspect of function, others rely on theory to back them up.
The High Endurance Performance Blade is one that is in harmony with the intended function, and guaranteed to the satisfaction of the owner for life.

danbot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 10:06:26 PM »

Perhaps the critics who don't think much of the knowledge you present are seeking short cuts to better blades, or have little interest in improving the quality of thier knives?

Another question I would ask of them is "What have you done to improve the quality of your knives since you started making them?"  Other than improving their skills or jumping on a new "super-steel" band wagon.

It is true that the HEPK is not for everyone.  But I believe the knowledge you present is of value to anyone who seeks to make a high quality knife for any purpose.  After all, a lot of people who want to buy a custom made knife believe they are buying something of superior quality, craftsmanship and value for thier dollar.  They should not be let down or mislead. -- Not that these critics knives are of poor quality, but if they were interested in improving thier knives, they most certainly could benefit by studying the info on your DVDs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: