Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Knife Talk II dvd topics....  (Read 3275 times)
Alan
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2006, 08:28:43 PM »

The Bearing To Blade video was a very good .
It shows new guys like me how to take a ball bearing and turn it into a darn good knife.
The forge work and the grinding and fileing are shown is such a way as to really help the student bladesmith learn how to move with the tools we use in this craft.

Along with the steel of the knife blade, the "Bearing To Blade" video also shows us how to make the brass guard and how to add on the sheephorn handle.

Everything is gone over slowly and clearly  , just as a guy would want if you wish to learn what it is that Ed has to teach us.

Then, near the end of the Bearing To Blade video Ed finally gets around to the leather sheath.
However he just sorta points to it and there is no real lesson on how to make this important item.

The new  KNIFE TALK dvd is just what it is named about..knife talk, is talking about knives
  The dvd is like a conversation between Ed and Rex about knives and the 3-quench system that Ed uses .

when you watch this dvd after watching the first video, you get insight into many things about the way Ed makes a knife . 
You also get a chance to look at the new shop Ed built and how he works with the tools at this stage of his carreer.
I was able to pick up a lot of little tips from watching the way Ed moved and watched the steel he was working with.

Now, IF....if I were to suggest a topic that Ed might wish to go over in his next dvd , I would think that some leather work would really be nice to see.

I myself have worked out a little system for making a leather sheath.  But I also have faced a few problems with each sheath that always force me to 'fake it and hope for the best"....
I guess I would love to see Ed show us how he makes a sheath from start to finish.

Another topic.....
I would love to see "selling a blade"...
I get a lot of guys at my work that ask me about knives and I end up with a lot of people asking me for a knife.
I just never know how to deal in a professional manner.

I also have a dream one day of sitting behind a table at a gun and knife, show...however I know nothing about what this would be like.

It might be nice to see on a DVD a little lesson in how to deal with people in the greater knife-owning world...how to display a knife....how to get a table at a big convention....how to sell a knife,,,,,how to talk to people about what went into the blade,,,,

I have tried a few times to sell a knife that showed the temper lines with an acid etch...but people dont have a clue and always reach for the one with the mirror finish....

« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 08:36:50 PM by Alan » Logged
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 12:08:53 PM »

We intend to cover many such topics in the near future.

When selling an etched blade, we need to teach or inform the client what the etch communicates. The etched blade is an open book about the heat treat when done honestly. There are many ways to cheat when we etch a blade and fool most of the clients. As we teach about the etch, more and more clients will be able to recognize a fake etch and those who cheat will be found out.

An honest etch reveals grain structure in the steel and you can see it changing incrementally from the cutting edge to the spine. This is almost impossible to fake and would take the maker much more time than required to simply do it right in the first place.

If they want a mirror polish by all means give it to them, but I strongly suggest that you etch all your blades for the etch provides a real education for the maker as to the quality of the heat treatment.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Robertv6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 07:01:12 PM »

When polishing your blade, ....let me begin again, i have always hand finished a blade.  I have never polished one. I normally take them up to 400 and stop. Its a nice brushed finish, and if someone is going to genuinely use it, its going to get scratched up anyway.  Some times, i take them up to 800, but not often.  What grit should one take them up to, and then polish?  Additionally, Ive been looking real close at Mr. Ed's blades and see the banding he refers to.  What other steels will polish and then etch, and show the grain structure?  Ive made one batch of pattern welded steel.  Its ok, but you could sure tell that someone who doesnt know didly about that did it.  It might even make a decent knife, but i decided i want to get my fit and finish up to snuff first.  Now i am comsumed with making the best blade i can, and the rest will follow.

thanks
Alan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 08:47:09 PM »

Good Luck,
Try as I might,  every time I stop before I do the polish step the guys who look at the blade always ask, "When will it be done?"

Ed Fowler does not have a mirror finish and his blades are etched.
Every time I have etched a blade and set it amoung others that are not, it always gets overlooked as people seem to seek a blade that looks more 'finished" ...

I have tried to talk to people about what the etch blade can tell them about the steel....
Some people get the point....Most listen to me, and then ask when it will be finished?
Karlsmith

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 12:50:54 AM »

you guys have been talking about these Knife Talk DVD. But I couldn't find a place to buy/ download it. can anyone help me with that problem ?

Looking forward for a reply. thanks. Smiley
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 08:24:50 AM »

Karl, just email Ed at eafwb@wyoming.com and he will hook you up.

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: