Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Blade Show 07  (Read 1834 times)
davidm
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2007, 10:04:28 AM »

Was fun, I arrived on Sat. because of work.. The line was just as long on Sat. morning, if not longer.. seems to be more every year.  This year there was a lady who was patrolling the line, making sure those waited the longest got in first.  Last year and prior years, there have been those people who rush the front when the show opens, so it's good to see some attention has been paid to this problem. 
Once inside the show, the familiar faces.. It was good to see Ed, with cowboy hat and smile.  And, the knives were beautiful and freedom of style, lots of curve and creativity in the sheephorn.  Especially liked the longed handled models.  Good to talk with Ed, and meet Jeremy and others who had an association with Ed's work.  Butch was a character as usual, and his lovely wife Shannon, who is an angel.  Butch is losing his beard.  Loved his work, it is really looking nice.  We had a conversation on a few knives that were particularly interesting, and what a treat! 
So, walking around on Sat. I was impressed with the precision of a few makers work, this is along the lines of precision where the knife is ground with angles, high attention to flat ground, exactness.. So, some of it is more for the "precision" as the goal.  The one that I was most impressed, could hardly see how a person could build such a perfect flawless instrument was John White.  I have no idea if the knife would cut, but wow!  what a strict sense of order this knife had. 
In the chopping show, i left just before the end, but I understand Reggie Barker took the prize again.  He makes the 2x4 chop look easy.  Most of the contestants chopped the bundle rope (all were required to do 5 ropes this time) did it.  A little confusing how last years hardly any could cut 2 or 3 ropes, but this year suddenly all could cut 5?  .. anyway, maybe there's a reason, or maybe the bundles were tightly bound, making it easier.  Perhaps.. 
I had a few interesting conversations, particularly with Ed about the new Prototype.  And, with Jerry Fisk who has a new "factory" version of his knife, made in Brazil.   
Taking my little boys around the Show on Sunday, we passed John Fitch, who is about 8' tall and weighs as much as a Ford truck.. I announced to my kids, "this is BIG JOHN!"  He can chop a big piece of wood (they don't know what a 2x4 is yet)  in half with one chop!  They shook his hand in awe.  Then, he handed them the 5 ropes he cut in the competition and signed his name on it.  So, we had a prize to carry around.  Like a baseball signed by the Babe.  I will hang it in my house as a memory of great times at Blade. 
Unfortunately, i had no cash to spend for this show so I was more of a spectator.  But, there were beautiful knives everywhere.  I was really impressed w/ the work of Russ Sutton, and some others that were of the hollow grind school.  NOt that I like hollow grind, but the knives they made really displayed a work of beauty.  I met the maker Steve Johnson and was curious about the designs and style of the Loveless patterns.  I also talked with Jerry Fisk about his designs, he says many of his knife styles come from a Medditerrain style (sp?)  And, that with many the small changes are his own.  Also, telling me where the Sendero style came from, an alteration of another knife he had seen.  Now, i'm having a hard time remembering details of which knife, but he told me. 
One man who I passed in the lobby, he stopped when I was talking to Wayne Goddard, who I had just met for the first time, talking to another knife maker.  He remarked how sad it was he never got a picture taken with Bill Moran, and how he remembers talking to him and having the opportunity.  So, we took pictures with Wayne Goddard and felt better.  I had my cell phone and he had a cell phone camera too.  I don't think it would have ever occurred to him that he had a similar opportunity right then.  Didn't see Phil or Jose, good friends I wish I had seen.  Evan was there and had already sent his new bowie Fed Ex so i didn't see it either.  Ed and I had a conversation about the Shannon Bowie I purchased earlier this year.  This knife bears the marks of greatness but is unsigned.  To stay that way. 
Best joke I heard was from Jerry Fisk, during the cutting comp. said Daniel Winkler was rumored to have had a knife in his hand from the time he was a baby, at birth he had giving his mom a C section from the inside out.  A week later he grew a beard.
David    

PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 01:25:50 PM »

Didn't see Phil or Jose, good friends I wish I had seen.

David, you didn't see Jose or me because we weren't there. Rest assured we would have hooked up if I could have made it. It breaks my heart to admit I haven't been to Blade since 2004. I really do miss being there, seeing my friends and of course the knives. I would have gone even if I knew I couldn't buy anything.

I hope you and the kids had a wonderful time.

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

Larrin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 05:32:34 PM »

I had a good time. I don't have time to do a write-up of the show though. I didn't look at many knives. I talked to a choice few, but missed talking to many others. I saw Ed, but I missed Ed's seminar.
davidm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 06:32:57 AM »

It appears that the New York Chapter of the Willow Bow Knife Club wasn't well represented. Undecided    Fer shame, fellas!     

Ed's seminar was very good.  As always.  Good diagrams of the processes of what happens in the multiple quench, (inside the blade) the transition zones that the blade develops.  And, how the Wootz or carbide banding acts as an agent to give some elasticity/filler between the zones. (those words weren't used, just my interpretation of what was said) 
There was a video made, Jeremy of Busterbones may decide to post it on the forum here, with a little encouragement and Ed's permission. 

Phil, you didn't miss Nothin'.  Really, the show wasn't that great,.. since 2004.  But, scantily clad beautiful women, everywhere walking around selling knives.  It's a shame what Blade has turned into.  Overly friendly abhorrent types, trying to sell knives to unsuspecting men such as yourself.  Barely wearing anything.   Grin 
David
Doraville

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 05:32:28 AM »

Greetings,
 I had a great time at the Blade show. Ed's seminar was really informative. Ed, Butch, and Jeffery all had excellent work on their tables. Joe S had a great seminar on tomahawks and his table was awesome as usual. It was really great to see good friends again. High performance is the standard folks the rest are just safe queens.
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 08:40:02 PM »

As usual Blade was a busy place for me. I got to meet Jeremy for the first time, we shared a lot of thoughts. Our dvd sold out, Jeremy is going to have more in the near future.

We displayed prototypes of our new colaboration knife, it was very well received. When I get some time we will have photos up on this form.

I cannot say enough good about Blade Show, got to see many old friends, Dan Denehee was inducted into the Blade Hall of Fame, he earned it and I was very happy to see him get it. We got to talk for a few minutes but got interrupted, I plan on calling him to continue sharing thoughts with him.

We have videos of Joe Szilaski's seminar and mine that will be posted on the form as soon as Jeremy gets settled into his new home, he is one busy man for a while. Our form is getting a lot of visitors, and I am very enthusiastic about our future.

Tena did a fantastic great job keeping the Willow Bow irrigated while I was gone, she had some big changes to make and did an exceptionally good job.

Our next High Performance seminar starts Friday, Eldon will be here to help coach some very enthusiastic students, looking forward to some good times.

My new fighter design and the Ruana were well received, Pat had some good thoughts to share with me about the design.

Evan plans on joining us in discussions about knife rights, AKTI is doing well and I hope to see them and kniferights.org working hand in hand to provide us a strong base. Really it is easy, all they have to do is listen to Evan!

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Vance Perkins

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 07:45:57 PM »

I think this was the best blade I have ever attended. I bought my first forged blade. 
Vance
Jose Reyes

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 03:57:48 AM »

David, thanks for the recap, wish I could have been there. Sounds like your kids had a great time, have you given them their own pronghorns yet?   Wink I don't remember if it was the second year that Reggie won, but only 1 guy managed to cut about 3 ropes. Someone in the crowd noticed he was the only one that reached up to pull the rope taut before his swing and it did seem to make a difference. Good choice, I agree leaving the blade unmarked is the way to go. At the least you'll have a good story like the guy who has the blade Ed forgot to sharpen.  Grin Thanks for the photos!

Hopefully we can make it down next year, Phil...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: