Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ed Fowler Camp knives and Bowies  (Read 6249 times)
davidm
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2007, 03:08:48 PM »

An array of large knives made by Ed.
Pictures are not so good, taken by the cell phone.  But, the best I can do right now.
Enjoy,
David

* 0120071100.jpg (78.47 KB, 640x480 - viewed 189 times.)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 03:11:06 PM by David Mullikin » Logged
davidm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 03:14:05 PM »

..more detail of handles.  
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:13:21 PM by David Mullikin » Logged
davidm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 03:24:18 PM »

..one more, of full collection.   sorry for poor picture quality.. i'll take better photos for future posts.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:13:43 PM by David Mullikin » Logged
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 07:57:16 PM »

David, out of focus and poorly lit, that's still an impressive collection.

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

Larrin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 10:03:12 PM »

And to think any one of those knives is worth more than my car....
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 11:11:26 PM »

David: I did not know you had that many knives, I remember making every one of them. You have some very special knifes.

Review PhilL's tutorials and have some fun with them!

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
mgugliotta

www.mgugliotta.com.ar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 11:36:23 PM »

Mama mia!
Impresives knives! Shocked

Saludos

Mariano
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 11:48:23 PM »

David, do you have any photos of the table display you and Jose had a Blade Show?
I'm guessing it was 2003, because I didn't get my digital camera until 2004, and I know if I had a camera I would have taken some pics.

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.

radicat
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 03:51:40 PM »

Probably the reason for the poor lighting is that the sun can't penetrate a vault in a bunker under some mountain. What a treasure !!
davidm

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 05:08:35 PM »

Radicat & Larrin,
Ha ha, no kidding! These babies are the real deal!!  I have been feeling a little unsure whether posting the photos is a good or bad thing.  First, let me say, nothing has come easy.  I didn't get any special discount or fall into a great deal.  These knives, I have spent years searching for this collection.  Spent money I did  not have, probably against better judgement where finances are concerned.  But, for the sake of something that is a quest, and a love.  It is something that I hope will honor the man who made it, not show a gratuitous collection to be the envy, or to brag.  These knives are beautiful.   Absolutely, the makings of a master.  And, I hope the lighting, as poor as it is, and focus will be on the form of these knives.    There is little out there in terms of a "collection" of Ed's work.  I know of three or four others who also have collections of Ed's work.  These knives probably would be better to serve the purpose of what they were made for, so there is a conflict of loving them, and knowing I do not give them the full service for what they were intended.  But, a collection should exist that shows the greatness and character of the man.  I hope these knives, can help do that in some small way.  They should be in the Smithsonian, or in the Wyoming museum. Or, on the belt of a cowboy somewhere.. 
But, I'll keep them and enjoy them for a while too..

The least expensive of this group was bought a couple of years ago, on the secondary market for $625, but most others are in the thousands and several thousand dollar range.  Each of these knives shows a unique slice of the time in which it was made, a roadmap of Ed's quest.  Interesting study, fascinating to me..

Ed, thank you for not being angry.. I know how important it is to you that these knives should serve mankind.  The soul of these knives to be used. 
David
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 05:14:26 PM by David Mullikin » Logged
davidm

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 05:35:20 PM »

Phil,
No, it's a shame.. I don't have any photos of that display.  My portion of the display included Ed's Heiser chaps and the bowie that he made and pictured in the grouping, this is the same as in Knife Talk in the "Iron Mistress" story.  How I ended up w/ the chaps is solely because of Ed's generosity. I can tell this story later.  For the Blade display, I made a display case using a Model T windshield, and old bed slats.  It took about 1 week to build, trying to finish for the show, much of which i had to make while under a tent while in the rain during the week before the show.   But, in the end, it looked O.K. 

I will take a photo of the full display case where the chaps rest, really looks good for a display.  Along w/ an old ball bearing and a knife.  It won't show everything, but at least give an idea..

Jose may have some pictures, but I don't think we ever got a group photo of all the knives.  What a picture that would have made!  Jose has one of the nicest collections of Ed's work that exists.  And, a bowie that we almost fought over!    Wink
David
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 06:38:06 PM »

Ed, thank you for not being angry.. I know how important it is to you that these knives should serve mankind.  The soul of these knives to be used. 
David

David, I know exactly how you feel, not that I have the collection of Fowler's that you or Jose have. I only have two knives from Ed.
In 2001, things were going pretty good and I had booked my first trip to Blade Show. I emailed Ed and said that I was financially capable of purchasing a Pronghorn. My concern was that although I would use the knife it would never get the full use of the what one could expect from one of Ed's knives. Ed, understood and eased my mind, that I still had the right to own one of his knives. I can't think of another maker where I would seek their approval to buy one of their knives.

The display that you and Jose put up at Blade had to make Ed proud.

davidm

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 12:26:59 PM »

Forgive the picture quality..  This is the display, I spoke of earlier.  It was made from wood scraps of an old lawn chair, bed slats, model T windshield ("depot hack", as far as I can tell), an old cabinet door.  Salvaged screws and hardware from attic of 100 yr. old house, brackets from a rail-car.  The base was made by a man from South Carolina, he used a piece of a barn entry way for the bottom and a salvaged ballester for the wrought iron.  Has a kind of a gothic or rustic look, but works O.K.  with the Western theme.
David

* 0524071801.jpg (64.64 KB, 640x480 - viewed 123 times.)
Harold Locke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 02:42:58 AM »

David,

I am proud of you and your collection, I can certainly see the sacrifice you have made to acquire such a great collection.

You must never ever give out your address in public or the net.

Great

Harold
Jose Reyes

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 11:43:30 AM »

Nice collection, David. Good post, I feel the same way about my knives. I don't have a picture of the exhibit that year but I did have a photo of my knives taken.

We almost fought over my reverse taper "man killer". Here's a picture of both the large camp knives Ed brought to Blade that year.

A picture of the bowie.

I'm not sure who owns this one but it's one of my favorites.

and a couple of amateur horn pics...

« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 03:35:53 PM by Jose Reyes » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: