Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Knives i finished  (Read 1360 times)
Robertv6
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2007, 06:13:07 PM »

Here are a couple of knives i just finished.  I know most here dont like the dropped edge, but i learned that way first and am now trying my hand at a knife that the edge comes straight out of the ricasso.  They are the ones i started under the thread, Not Before Their Time.  You can see their baby pictures there.

blue skies

one other note, this is a type of handle ive been making, however, ed points out it aint worth a toot if you have to bang on the end for leverage because it comes kinda to a point.  Ive been playing with a modified butt to this style, but the ones ive done look....chunky on the end, which i dont like....soooooo im going to try something i think i kinda like on the next ones. stay tuned    

* 100_2009.JPG (86.68 KB, 498x372 - viewed 137 times.)

* 100_2012.JPG (86.13 KB, 493x370 - viewed 130 times.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 06:20:29 PM by Robertv6 » Logged
caknives
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 07:09:48 PM »

Really nice, I like them both. What's the wood?

Don't take life to seriously, you'll never make it out alive.  - Van Wilder
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 08:50:47 PM »

I like your knives, I would love to watch how they evolve over time. Never take my words for absolute rules, question what I say and make decisions based on your thougths for the knife you are making.

You will find that every knife you make will vary somewhat. I did not mean to criticise your handle shapes, it is very popular and Bob Loveless got a lot of mileage out of his thoughts on design.

Every maker has the absolute freedom to make his kind of knife. Don't let anyone talk you out of something you like.

I have my ideas about function and probably use my knives a lot harder than anyone else will. Design can be dedicated to function and this is my goal for me. I find it very handy to be able to smack the butt of the knife with the palm of my hand, therefor I like the butt shaped so as not to bruise my hand. If you like a pointed butt you can easily pad it with a glove and use it that way.

Some like the "skull crusher" on the butt, some call it a glass breaker. I would use the tip of my knife for that purpose if I needed to break glass or something like that. This is why the tips on my blades may appear to be excessively stout. They will get me into any work I need in so I don't worry about them being too thick, as long as the blade comes to an absolute point. You can tell a lot about the knowledge of a knife maker just by looking at the tip of his blades, many are rounded and lack the qualities I like to see. Maybe they have a reason, we could debate tips extensively and explore variables most never think about.

The old WWI trench knives had a skull crusher and I tried working with one once. Luckilly I had the forsight of possible danger and I slipped a piece of plastic pipe over the blade. I did some experiments (shaddow boxing) trying to use the skull crusher, the way I fought I would have ended up sticking myself trying to use it.

Building a knife needs the same care we devote to building a target rifle for serious competition. What for, why and living with it over time teach us. Never quit asking questions and you will always learn.

I strongly encourage you to stick with it and most importantly enjoy your time with knives.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Robertv6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 06:10:35 PM »

the wood is curly, or tiger maple.  ive tried several methods to get the look i want.  one is a vinegar stain.  it works, but takes a long time and the results were not what i was looking for.  i tried muratic acid, burnished with steel wool, then a hair dryer(for heat).  it was better, but it was giving me a more orange color.  i then tried some stuff called chromic ....something acid.  bingo, that was the ticket.  it burns the sugars in the wood and makes the grain pop. then burnish with 0000 steel wool, then apply oil.
thanks for looking

blue skies
radicat
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 03:41:05 AM »

Nice work Robert. The negatives that you point out aren't really that. They're just variations on a theme. I'd be proud to carry your knives.
    I prefer wood above any other handle material. The variety is endless. You can get the effect and shape you want. You demonstrated that each maker can get something different from the same piece of wood. Thanks for the useful tips.        Clay
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 06:28:56 PM by radicat » Logged
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 03:55:13 PM »

Robert, very nice work. You have a definite style, that I look forward to see evolving over time.
Thanks for sharing.

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: