Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: How to use a etched knife?  (Read 1808 times)
Alan
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2006, 10:33:09 PM »

The Fowler knife is etched.
I see on Ebay and in photos that guys post how people always make sure to point out the nice etch on their Fowler blades.
But what i dont understand is how can you actually use an etched blade and not mark up the etch?

I have just etched my 2nd 52100 blade.  Then I soldered on the brass guard and have now bonded on the Mirarta handle.
There is little if any trace left of the nice etch I had yesterday.

I have yet to sharpen the blade.
After I finish all the work on the handle and the sheath, only then will I sharpen the blade to hair-popping sharpness.
Then after the blade is sharp I like to buff the blade to make it 'extra" sharp.

But by then the knife will have clearly no sign of having ever been etched.

Could I etch the blade as a very last step?

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 11:56:43 PM »

Good thoughts Alan:
The purpose of the etch is to allow you, the maker, to see how well your hardening operation worked. When you etch a blade everything is visable, if you missed getting part of the blade hard, you will be able to see it, knife makers who etch their blades will become better at hardening blades because of this fact. Otherwise all you have to guide your efforts is what you think happened on the last blade.

I etch my blades, then lightly buff them until I can read the nature of the steel. I do not buff them out all the way because I want my clients to be able to read the nature of the blade also. It may be that you have to etch them a second time after they are finished. All you have to do is coat the brass guard with some fingenail polish and the etchant will not influence it.

The etching is for one reason, hosesty with yourself and with your client. Once he begins to use the knife he will wear the etching away both through use as well as sharpening. That is the way it is, you can always go back and polish a blade then etch it again if wish. I like the knives I use myself to wear their use proudly, that way they become a part of the man who uses them. Maybe they lose some of their charm, but that was only an assurance of quality. Much like the paint job on a new caror the polish on a new pair of shoes, for me it is the performance that gives me the greatest pleasure.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Alan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 12:03:38 AM »

Another thing....

I notice at the lower left hand corner there are two boxes where I can click to lock or clear a topic?....
That seems an odd thing to offer a guest?
I have not clicked on them, perhaps that dont work for us guests?
-------------------------------------------------
And the Other thing...
I guess I have to think about what i want my totally finished blade to look like when I hand it off to the next guy who owns it...

I think i might shoot for a mirror finish, with just a little hint of an etch.
I like a mirror finish on a knife.  To me it just looks "done" when you can see yourself in the blade.
but I also want to be able to point to a slight suggestion of an etch so that you can tell that the blade has been clearly and correctly heat-treated....
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 08:48:55 PM »

Good Thoughts Alan, make them the way you want them to be.

I will talk to Jeremy about the buttons.

I thought I answered you some time ago, but must have deleted it.

Ed

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Alan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 11:00:46 PM »

This will not work!

i just locked the topic, (and then unlocked it)

a guest cant be allowed to do that.....I think...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: