Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wet Forging!!??  (Read 688 times)
mreich
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2017, 07:52:42 PM »

Ed, in Wayne Goddard's book, "The Wonder of Knifemaking", he wrote a blurb about the traditional Japanese method of "wet forging".

Basically water is applied to the anvil, and the hammer stays in a bucket of water. When the blade is removed from the fire, the blows from the wet hammer against the water between the blade and the anvil causes little steam explosions that loosen scale.

Do you have the book? Do you know what he's talking about?

He wrote a very favorable paragraph of it, and that's all, as far as I know.

I thought I had a fairly good understanding of Japanese methods, but I've never heard of this.

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 10:28:40 AM »

Yes, we played with it for a while, I still remember the day he showed me. Comes in handy if you are forging too hot.
While it was interesting, I could see no benefit from it, Scale early on protects the future knife inside, I never could see any benefit to this method of working. It does cool the blade faster while forging and require more heats, I do not feel it is worth it other than as one of those Wow deals for demonstrations.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Will

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 09:30:45 PM »

The only time I do it is at certain stages while forging damascus, primarily when I want to blow the scale off just before folding.  It's a useful technique, but like everything else, there is a time and place for it, I never do it when forging mono steels as the temp is too low and what scale there is is flaking off nicely as is.

Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms
mreich

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 11:36:44 AM »

Thank you both, much appreciated.  Smiley
Joe Calton
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 02:57:16 PM »

I can see where wet forging would really help, and that is if your hammer handle was loose in the head. just keep the hammer in a bucket of water next to the anvil......... :}

Performance Above All Else!!

http://caltoncutlery.com/home.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: