Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 52100 vid  (Read 597 times)
John Silveira
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2016, 03:58:20 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngrf0jyRxqc

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 10:58:43 AM »

Interesting, taking the 52100 to that fine an edge, his work took his knife blade where he wanted it to go. You could consider that a success.

He would cry if he saw the way we test blades, and how great the difference is between a fine edge and 320 grit edge.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
mreich

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 06:40:16 AM »

Not many guys are able to produce an edge capable of passing the HHT. Especially freehand on a knife.  

The video shows an investment in high end abrasives, very thin edge geometry, and very good technique.  

It's definitely a fun achievement, but in my experience Ed's right. That type of edge has a tough time slicing rope or passing the three finger test. It will easily push cut rope, but not for long.

Still, nicely done.  Wink
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 06:45:51 AM by mreich » Logged
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 07:27:47 PM »

Years ago one of my clients had purchased a knife, when he got it he decided it was not sharp so he sent it to some Japan maker who sharpened the knife on water stones and charged him a lot of bucks to sharpen his knife. When he got it back he tried to dress out a deer and could not using my knife. 

He sent the knife to me wanting to know what the deal was. I tried to cut some rope with it and it would not make one cut, it would cut paper and shave hair but that was it. I re-sharpened it on a 320 grit stone and sent it back to him right away because he was going to Canada on a special hunt. I suggested that he try the knife using the dull edge like the one that was on the knife when he bought it.

Several weeks later I got a call and an apology, he loved the new edge and ordered more knives. You can get a knife too sharp to use on some materials. You as a maker need to match up the edge you put on your knives with their intended purpose.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Will

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 12:34:52 AM »

Good point and interesting video.  I've played around over the years with different edges and I keep coming back to a 320 grit main stone with a light honing on a fine Arkansas stone.  Not enough to remove the "teeth" from the 320, just a light dressing.

Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: