Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: My day with the Power Hammer issues:  (Read 633 times)
Alan
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2018, 12:35:56 PM »

My day with the Power Hammer issues:

I have owned my 50lb Little Giant power hammer for about 4 years now, but when I got it I learned later setting it up there were 2 issues.

The first was that rather than the upper die being flat enough to use to move hot steel and made knife with it seemed to be a very pointed cutting die.

The other issue was that the foot bar near the bottom was located too close to the floor and you cant push it down far enough to really get the power hammer going correctly.

My guess is that the previous owner  must have had this power hammer positioned up on some high wood blocks.
This caused him to remove the foot control bar, cut it into smaller sections, and weld it up with some new bends that lower the height of the bar closer to his floor level.

anyway,,,To fix things , starting on this last Monday i removed the upper die and ordered a new one ( $220)

I also decided to removed the foot control bar and fix it as well.

My plan was to take the bent bar over to my coal forge, heat the bends one at a time, and hammer them straight.

It was a simple plan...

I got the forge going nice and hot.
I took the removed foot control bar over to the forge and put the first bend into the heat.

I allowed it to get nice and red hot before I took it over to the anvil.
I was confidant that this job of straighten the bar would go fast and I also had other plans for that day so I wanted to get this job finished.

I started to strike the first bend.

Suddenly every 50 year old weld on this bent foot control bar failed at the same  time!

I was left holding a small section in my hand while about 6 small curved sections of the bar lay around me.

Well, thats when I knew I had better change my afternoon plans for that day....    

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:39:07 PM by Alan » Logged
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 10:46:24 AM »

Just relax and enjoy your experience with your Little Giant, it won't last forever!

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Alan
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 04:58:42 PM »

ahhhh...thats better!

I got the new die this afternoon...
I got it into position, and I tested it.

It seemed to be right, so I fired up my gas forge and found some steel to test it on.

What a dream!

Oh how I have suffered for years with a power hammer that did more harm that good/.
I think I got the Little Giant with what must be homemade cutting die on the upper, because I have wrecked a lot of steel attempting to use it as it was.

But my test was a dream....moving steel and not just chopping it....

Tomorrow I will have the first fun with the hammer since I got it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: