Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Calton-Rohde Collaboration Pictures!  (Read 1267 times)
Daniel Rohde (D-Vision)
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: March 30, 2016, 06:07:14 PM »

Hey Guys!

A couple months ago I asked Joe if he wouldn't mind doing a collaboration with him and he said that would be fine but then I didn't hear anything form him for a while and though he had forgotten....well about two weeks ago I got a box in the mail with two of his necker blade ready for handles! So I got cracking on them and these are some of the "Work in Progress" pictures:

Joe pretty much gave me free reign to do what I wanted with them so I decided I wanted to do a etched finish, First thing I did was clean them up a little bit more to my liking and cleaned up the profile(Top blade is from Joe and the bottom one was changed a little bit by me and ready for hand sanding)

left one is after I cleaned it up a bit more and hand sanded it....I'm pretty picky about my finish going into the etch

Etched

Logo on(I didn't get to talk to joe about the logos so I hope he didn't mind me putting it on there)

My blade always look a little bit different from the etch so it was interesting to see his, this is mine:

Consistent, Repeatable Performance is the goal
http://www.rohdeedge.com/
Daniel Rohde (D-Vision)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 06:10:41 PM »

More pictures:

Working on the Koa one:

And that's about it from me, Joe has them now and will make sheaths and sharpen them.

Joe Calton
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 07:19:22 PM »

Daniel,

you did a fine job cleaning those up and installing the handles on them!!

you can really tell some differences in the way that you and I do the same pattern. I can point out some of them and give you my thoughts on why I do them the way that I do.

first off is the amount of hardened steel. on a hidden tang knife, I do like the hard part to stop before the blade enters the guard. usually knives with guards are a bit thicker so you have more room in the guard slot to get your files in to fit the guard, and the guard and handle material gives some rigidity to the whole knife. on these thin little blades {1/16"} though, if you leave the tang completely soft, you can run into problems in heavy cuts where you bend the tang permanently. so I like to have a small ribbon of hardened steel that runs through the tang to give it some stiffness. also I like more hard part on these thinner blades. not only to give a bit more stiffness to the blade since its so thin, but also I use the heck out of the ones that I keep. the stainless prototype that I kept, and used for about 8 months, I used up about 1/8" off the width in that amount of time. of course I use them harder than I expect most of them to be used, and so wreck the edges a lot, and have to sharpen much more often than someone using them for what I make them for :}

the second big one is where to end the handle material on the ricasso. I like to take it up a bit higher to where it meets the point, and then round the point off a bit. that way the handle scales soften that point so that its not so hard on the hand in different grips.

the finish also. I usually stop at about a 400 grit finish. it doesn't show off the hardening line as well as your nicer finish, but also the scratches that will happen with a kydex sheath blend in a bit better with the coarser finish.

but man you got some finishing skills that is for sure :} that koa is especially nice looking!

Performance Above All Else!!

http://caltoncutlery.com/home.html
Daniel Rohde (D-Vision)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 05:20:40 AM »

Daniel,

you did a fine job cleaning those up and installing the handles on them!!

you can really tell some differences in the way that you and I do the same pattern. I can point out some of them and give you my thoughts on why I do them the way that I do.

first off is the amount of hardened steel. on a hidden tang knife, I do like the hard part to stop before the blade enters the guard. usually knives with guards are a bit thicker so you have more room in the guard slot to get your files in to fit the guard, and the guard and handle material gives some rigidity to the whole knife. on these thin little blades {1/16"} though, if you leave the tang completely soft, you can run into problems in heavy cuts where you bend the tang permanently. so I like to have a small ribbon of hardened steel that runs through the tang to give it some stiffness. also I like more hard part on these thinner blades. not only to give a bit more stiffness to the blade since its so thin, but also I use the heck out of the ones that I keep. the stainless prototype that I kept, and used for about 8 months, I used up about 1/8" off the width in that amount of time. of course I use them harder than I expect most of them to be used, and so wreck the edges a lot, and have to sharpen much more often than someone using them for what I make them for :}

the second big one is where to end the handle material on the ricasso. I like to take it up a bit higher to where it meets the point, and then round the point off a bit. that way the handle scales soften that point so that its not so hard on the hand in different grips.

the finish also. I usually stop at about a 400 grit finish. it doesn't show off the hardening line as well as your nicer finish, but also the scratches that will happen with a kydex sheath blend in a bit better with the coarser finish.

but man you got some finishing skills that is for sure :} that koa is especially nice looking!

Hey thanks Joe!

I was hoping you would reply;)

I thought that you hardend at the way through the finger choil because you couldn't avoid it with how you heat it in the kiln? I guess I always thought that have any hardend steel in the ricasso(with this design) was a bad idea so I have always tried to keep it just in the blade(or petering out just at the start of the choil). What do you think? I usually use 3/32" stock on my neckers and I haven't really noticed flexing problems, But I could be wrong. I guess me using 3/32" stock is another thing we do differently;)  

Humm, that's interesting that that would be the second big differences. Seems like if you had the wood up higher eventually aren't you going to ware the wood away and have a sharp untouched corner there? I like to have my wood a little bit lower so I can fully buff and round that spot so it's not sharp and won't be sharp if the wood shrinks or somthing. Having it lower also seems to make it a little bit more defined and in turn more secure in the hand.  
This is a good point and I'll have to look at it further to decide how I want to keep doing it.

Are you talking about the blade finish? Cause that IS a 400 grit blade finish;) I don't want to spend all day sanding away...I will admit though, there are several things that I do to make the knife look nicer and really don't add to the practical value(they hopefully don't take either;)) but I really take a lot of joy and pride in making them look nice to so I  work a little more than maybe necessary to make them look nice, just because I want to;) I figure pretty much any finish is gonna look like crap after a year of hard use anyway but I want to have it look nice of a little while of its life but in the end I still don't want to trade looks for how it works.
Thanks Joe! it's not that hard really I just decide to spend more time there. I debated using the Koa; I wasn't sure if you would like it or not but I had a scrap peice that was the right size and I figured why not?

Thank for your input Joe! I do really appreciate it!  

DR.....

John Silveira

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 08:37:20 AM »

awesome !
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 07:41:31 AM »

I realize that you wanted a photo of the handles being glued up to also show the blades and they are beautiful.

Still seeing the naked blades sticking up in the air is one of the most dangerous events of knife making, puts chills down my back. Jerry Fisk was teaching a new maker and cautioned him about a naked blade in a vice. The new maker either forgot or ignored his advice. He was working in Jerry's shop and left a naked blade sticking out of a vice, Jerry walked by and reached for something on the bench and stuck his forearm into the blade. The blade went all the way through and Jerry had to go to the Doctor. He was very lucky, no tendons were cut and although probably still a little painful he healed up and still has 100% use of his arm. The accident could have ended his knife making time.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
gmusic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 10:49:42 AM »

Very nice collaboration guys...........turned out sweet!

And that Ed is why Jerry has in his signature line (http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5021043/m/8981096812)

"Keep the pointy end away from you".

Knives are man's best fiend............

www.musicmadeknives.com
Daniel Rohde (D-Vision)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 10:58:39 AM »

I realize that you wanted a photo of the handles being glued up to also show the blades and they are beautiful.

Still seeing the naked blades sticking up in the air is one of the most dangerous events of knife making, puts chills down my back. Jerry Fisk was teaching a new maker and cautioned him about a naked blade in a vice. The new maker either forgot or ignored his advice. He was working in Jerry's shop and left a naked blade sticking out of a vice, Jerry walked by and reached for something on the bench and stuck his forearm into the blade. The blade went all the way through and Jerry had to go to the Doctor. He was very lucky, no tendons were cut and although probably still a little painful he healed up and still has 100% use of his arm. The accident could have ended his knife making time.
That's a good observation! thank you Ed, I'll remember to not do that again.

Dirtfarmer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 06:12:20 AM »

Wonderful collaboration!   The real breakthroughs come from individual effort.  You know the committee gets the credit but the actual idea came from an individual on the committee.  The refining of the idea can come by working with others.
Will

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 05:11:48 AM »

Good looking knives, I like them.  I love seeing the harding line going into the handle area and high enough on the blade to give it some stiffness.

Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: