Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Narrowing the field.  (Read 2300 times)
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 01:03:54 AM »

This is one of three I have made that are my version. A little more complicated as far as heritage I call her my Tribute Knife.

The blade is my modified Price Grind, the belly Webster Marble, top line again Price and John English.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 01:06:57 AM by Ed Fowler » Logged

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Daniel Rohde (D-Vision)
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 01:15:18 AM »

I think that is my favorite loveless knife. it's Classic!

Consistent, Repeatable Performance is the goal
http://www.rohdeedge.com/
Dirtfarmer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 11:36:30 AM »

Now  I have added Ruana to the list because they seem to have remained true to their origins and have not slavishly adopted somebody else's design.   The Ruana knives don't sing me a sweet song but they have integrity.  I wish I had known of them last summer so I could have studied them with Chris Amos.   

I'm also looking forward to putting my hands on Bob Dozier knives at the Blade show.  I have to do more reading to figure out what his roots are but I like what I see in pictures.   

I know  this thread is drifting from high performance knives but it will come back there when I'm tired of looking at knife design.   Performance is always the heart of the matter and at the end of the day form follows function.
davidm

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 03:44:15 PM »

Thank you for sharing the photo, Ed. Really beautiful artistic form. It is like sculpture. I appreciate your devotion to the form, and insights into early knives and knife designs.

We can't be too critical, picking between makers that are considered the most notable and others that are not worth a second glance. Just about every maker has something unique, and a passion for the craft. Therefore a contribution to the whole.
  dirtfarmer, there are some experts on Loveless knives you can search out at Blade, like the John Denton table- you may discover some makers you mentioned, and others : Mike Lovett, Thad Buchanan, David Sharp.. Collector Steven Garsson used to offer a Loveless tour at Blade he would assemble a group and attempt to educate on the finer points between Loveless and the top Loveless-inspired makers.
TKirk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 01:11:38 AM »

Ed has a Ruana fighter that is fascinating.  My good friend Teep Blevins,
a real deal hunter/outdoorsman, has a number of Dozier blades.
Dirtfarmer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2016, 01:03:36 PM »

I've done enough narrowing for the moment.   I have compiled a list of about a dozen makers I want to visit at the Blade show. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: