Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Embrace Failure in your efforts to develop the blade of your dreams  (Read 1458 times)
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: November 14, 2015, 09:46:56 AM »

My last article in Blade I discuss the importance of our ability to embrace failure in our efforts to develop the knife of our dreams. Today on the net I found this article that takes my thoughts further than I did with my article. I suggest that you read it carefully and share any thoughts that come your way.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34775411    

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
John Silveira
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 12:54:21 AM »

Good article Ed. Great article. I can't add anything to it ; only respond.

when i started making knives just over 2 years ago i was pretty uptight - when i stood in front of a belt sander for the first time it was like everything came to a stand still and i went "NOW WHAT"... it felt like the hardest thing i've ever done. I've told this to some of my friends - one of them said he stood in front of a belt sander and couldn't do it !!!! LOL that was Scott - a pretty good friend and an honest one. But this is not what i have to say in response to your post - it's just a bit of history.

I have designed each blade i've made from scratch - every blade i've made has been drawn out on paper first. I draw them full size so i have the pattern to go from. Not to say i haven't seen a blade that i liked and then elaborated on with my own twist and turn to make it more "my design". anyway.

As i kept drawing patterns up and matching the blade to it i never really felt like " Wow this is a good / really good example of my own creativity ". in the back of my mind it always seemed like a bit of a struggle with either finding or choosing the right components to the blade or the actual pattern of the blade too. Till the other day that is. I'll elaborate as follows:

Probably almost 2 years ago i saw a pattern that i really liked - the blade dropped down from the handle with a upsweeping curve to the spine. A very simple pattern but though i liked the pattern i never duplicated it because it just seemed too simple to me ( at least that particular knife was ) and i felt there was more to come ( Creativity already kicking in for me )... But i filed away that basic pattern and from time to time have caught myself remembering that pattern as though maybe i can use something like it - just something !!!

So over the past couple years i keep designing and feeling like i'm working on the creative process ( i consider myself somewhat of an artist and i guess this is just how i like doing things ) anyway - make a long story short - i made a knife one of my most creative and i called it "Sweepea" it had all exaggerated lines because i was thinking of the Popeye cartoon and swear i've seen him wave around a blade a few times - ( i was thinking cartoon quality right )? i fashioned "Sweepea" from memory of what i thought i'd seen. I was pretty happy with SweePea - made it from one of those flat stock E-Clamps from the train tracks that i could bend 180 degrees 3 times before the edge cracked. Anyway. I still wasn't satisfied with the creative flow of things - somehow i knew there was more to come creatively. Said to myself " One day there's going to be a POPEYE knife" !!! And sure enough !!!!

But here's the part that correlates to your post the most i think. For about the past 6 months my brain has been twisting - like i could tell something regarding knives was trying to manifest. It was - a little bit of this - a little bit of that - and some other stuff that was more like urges to create another design. But i just couldn't put my finger on it. As i said - till yesterday.

Truth is i really didn't put my finger on it at all (as far as design ) but last nite i had some kind of insight ( and it was back to that original knife pattern that i had filed away ) and i was compelled to sit down and sketch out this blade that has been trying to manifest .... couldn't really visualize it but just had the urge to sit and draw but with that old knife i had filed away as a impetus of sorts. -------------- so " POPEYE " at the core has been born - the pattern just kinda materialized on paper. It's a little of this - a little of that (but mostly was about my own feel )and i just kinda put the pieces together as i saw them in my mind one at a time and out popped POPEYE - ROFLMAO - Too funny. This is all part of my original "Fun" with making knives... Knives made from Cartoons Huh? OK ! is that creative enough Hahahaha ....

I'm not saying there's not a knife out there that looks like POPEYE ! I'm sure there is - what is absolutely new these days that hasn't already been done - not much i'd say . However this knife POPEYE that i'm now dying to make sorta manifested by it's own will ? I didn't really see the full picture in my head but what grew on paper i'm quite pleased with . It is what it is and i'm running with it ---- Like POPEYE said " I am what i am " LOL - this is all kinda funny to me in an interesting way.

so i'll introduce Popeye here in a photo below. On paper as it came out of my head.

the photo below is the last knife i made i just finished it - it's what i believe seemed like the hinge of the creativity that was trying to pop out ( the turning point ) made it out of almost frustration ROFL- it's a knife i just kinda threw out there as POPEYE was trying to find it's way to reality.

anyway - here's the knife below -
sold.

incidentally - Sweepea - is my personal knife i'll never sell probably - but someone wants one just like it . And Popeye which has yet to become the steel version is already spoken for as well so i may never have one for myself though i'd like to have one to go with SweePea.

To finish up this creativity talk - i also realize i'm going to need to make/ come up with a " PAPPY " Popeye's father ! That just might be interesting.

Here's my SweePea

she even has an anchor Scrimmed on the back Smiley

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 01:16:52 AM by John Silveira » Logged
Daniel Rohde (D-Vision)
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 03:33:31 PM »

That was a great article! I haven't read your article Ed(I don't subscribe to Blade yet sadly) but that BBC was really good!

I don't claim to really have "Success" but I have gotten so much better really in this last year and I have allot of messed up failures and I have tried things just to see for myself that it doesn't work. I think learning how to look at failure is really important all too many people give up too soon

Thanks so much for sharing that Ed! This is going in the Special Article section!

DR...

PS John those are some gorgeous knives! I love that Sweepea!

Consistent, Repeatable Performance is the goal
http://www.rohdeedge.com/
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 11:10:01 AM »

John: That drawing of "popeye" is absolutely gorgeous, while I would not want to use it your creativity and use of the curves, each complimenting each other is one of the finest art knives I have seen, you can be proud of it.

I thank you for sharing it with us.

Thank you for the kind thoughts

Daniel: I thank you for your input, I really liked the article myself. Since I wrote the article for Blade I have received two books on the subject, each offering more input. When we experience a failure there is so much we can learn from it if we stick with it, learn all we can from it through testing and do our best to understand all it has to offer.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: