Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 5160 knife from the 80's  (Read 1337 times)
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2015, 05:36:32 PM »

This is a knife I made for a friend from 5160 bar stock, it has harvested game from the 1980's, it has known many hunts and even a new puppy as well as a trip to the dish washer. He has passed away and his wife brought her to me for refurbishing. I did no work on the bade, but a lot on the handle.

Overall length 11 1/2 inches.

I did not have any memory of the blade for some reason, but did remember the buck sheep the handle was from.    

« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 06:53:14 PM by Ed Fowler » Logged

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Daniel Rohde (D-Vision)
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 11:14:51 PM »

Nice! I really like the horn one that one...particularly the spacer. Looks like it has seen allot of use! I hope my work looks as good 30 years later....

Consistent, Repeatable Performance is the goal
http://www.rohdeedge.com/
TomWhite

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 04:13:54 PM »

Thanks for the post Ed.  Looks like the handle aged well or you did a really good job restoring it.  It is a great knife and I'm sure it still has several years of service ahead of it.  Were you using a convex grind when you made it?  Also, I am wondering how thick the blade is.  It looks like it was well maintained and still has the full clip point.
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 12:55:25 AM »

I should have taken a before photo, the handle was very rough took a lot of time to clean it up, I learned some tricks!!

The blade is a little under 1/4 inch thick and 1 &  7/16ths deep. Most all of my forged blades are convex.

He carried it in his pack, does not look like it was ever on a belt.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
John Silveira

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 04:45:24 AM »

very cool !

bet it brings up some feelings having it like this.

blessings !
TomWhite

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 08:37:26 PM »

That is a knife ready to handle just about any chore you could throw at it I imagine. I will bet it has seen lots of back country time.  I I have always enjoyed knives this size, but I can see the wisdom of carrying it in the pack.
Most knives that stayed on my belt were usually 8" or less when I hunted regularly.
The feeling of being able to handle old friends like this is certianlly special.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: