Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: "How Do You Test Your Knives?"  (Read 4611 times)
John Silveira
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 06:52:02 PM »

Regarding the modified Price Grind :

when i first got serious about forging and grinding blades it seemed most of the knives i was looking at had grind lines ! Even some with very complex grind lines. The grind lines are definitely part of the aesthetic appeal to blades .

Then i saw Ed's blades and convex grinds. Had to find out what the whole thing was about ( convex grinds that is ) . Then in discussions here found out about the "Modified Price Grind". It was as though i was on information overload .

It was a bit of a departure for me to leave flat grinding and the grind lines when i started convex grinding. And honestly i felt like i was giving up a bit of the aesthetic look for the what i considered better performing Modified Price Grinds. But in the back of my mind still had that difficult time leaving flat grinding and found myself once in a while flat grinding again. ( what am i trying to say ).

Re-visiting the Price Grind discussion again here in this post and listening to Ed describe the grind of his "Reverse Modified Price Grind" i came away with more appreciation again for the grind.

my opinion: ( for whatever its worth ) - these price grinds are more like sculpture. I mean how easy is it for me to clamp on a plunge grinding guard onto my blade (which i've never done) and sit the blade on belt sander table and drag the blade across the table for a flat grind ! I mean pretty easy ! I have freehand ground every blade i've made. No grinding table on my grinder / never has been.

But take for example that "Reverse Modified Price Grind" - it's so much more of a sculpture is how i'm thinking of it now. I'm anxious to use that Reverse Grind on that new blade i have plans for - the " Popeye " blade. And when i take it up to my weekend adventure ride to hang out with all the bikers at Alices Restaurant in woodside i'll be able to explain the grind just like i said -> More of a Sculpture and with performance . I mean it just seems like it really separates itself from other typical distal tapered / hollow grind / flat grind etc blades.

Whether or not i'll always use that sculptured process on every blade i don't know yet - it's definitely more work and more time consuming. Sometimes i just need to produce a small skinner blade for someone where they won't be abusing it much and probably don't need all the fancy reverse grinding and such. I guess time will tell.

But as far as a selling point ! When i show off "Popeye" with the Reverse Modified Price Grind " it should come across like a huge home run ! It's just not something that's seen often ( at least not in the circles i travel ).

So yes - i've found a new appreciation for that Modified Price Grind - it's beauty ! of a different kind that has taken me time to wrap my brain around.

OK NUFF SAID !!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: