Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What did you use your knife for today?  (Read 2640 times)
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2015, 07:08:49 PM »

The most use my Gents Pronghorn knew so far was to dig 9mm brass out of packed and frozen snow. Retrieved abut 100 then fingers were too cold to pick them up.    

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Joe Calton
Administrator
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 04:22:27 AM »

today was mostly a paperwork and errands day. used my pocket knife to open lots of mail, cut up some boxes for the recycle bin, dig a clip out of a kitchen faucet sprayer to get it apart to replace orings, then a shop knife to cut out some sheaths.

Performance Above All Else!!

http://caltoncutlery.com/home.html
mreich

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 08:37:32 PM »

Mail, cardboard box, bag of cat chow, bottle of Kaopectate...  This hum-drum day ain't half over, and I haven't even been outside or working.

Beats the hell out of me how knife-less people get anything done.

RAD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 08:43:25 PM »

So far today .
My pronghorn has cut paracord , UPS boxes and Steak.
TomWhite

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 10:34:10 PM »

Getting up leaves with the lawn mower, hit a runner hall rug.  Where did that come from?  45 minutes of cutting the rugs loose from the blades, what a mess.  The mower came back up after tightening the blades back up.  The pick-up blower still needs work.  Gents pronghorn works, no blisters, and I didnt need to sharpen it.  This was my first extended chore with it.  It passed as expected.
John Silveira

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 12:49:52 AM »

On the way home today ( by motorcycle ) there was an accident ahead- stopped traffic - pulled out my pocket knife and trimmed my fingernails.
talked with a real cute young lassy in front of me who was closest to the wreck. Then some other young lassy came up to talk to me for a min.

Was a good day
mreich

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 05:15:32 AM »

I could get some pictures of what I did today just to see what you think of it.

Friggin' wind better cease and desist pretty soon, or I'll... i'll... cease and desist to notice it much, I guess.    Undecided
TomWhite

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 01:39:26 AM »

Cow down, old one ready to calve.  I chopped into a frozen round bale, (reverse grip) to get her some hay.  She ate and had some water.  Was able to get her up.  Judge is still out if she will make it through the storm they are calling for Thursday.  Called the vet today.  I cannot believe how cold it is here.  All the rest of the cows appreciated me breaking up the bale.  My knife cuts hay like butter.
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 10:05:07 PM »

Now you are gaining a comprehension of why agriculture is the testing ground for knives.

Your cow may have milk fever, that usually happens after they calve. The vet will be able to figure it out, if when she is down her spine is in an s curve - that is a major symptom.

I once carried 15 gallons of water to a cow before she had had enough. 

Stick with it, if she keeps going down hill you may have to take the calf caesarian section and raise it as a bum, this will give you some good times!!  The vet will be able to suggest if this is possible, if she dies while you are there, just go ahead and open her up and pull the calf, if she is dying just go midline, if not through the side. You will not have much time.

I wish you luck!!

TomWhite

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 11:09:16 PM »

Ed,
Thanks, I dont know if she has fever, still alert today.  Vet will give shot tomorrow to bring calf.  If we have to go down the c-section route, (I had already considered this), the wife says we'll name it Burt.  I know the knife is up to the job but, I promise you, I have not done this before.  Saw Dad do it it once, it is surely a chore and we still lost the calf.  We are pushing it off till the weather gets better, if the cow makes it that long.  The knife just mostly followed me around today.  I hope it is not just resting up for some serious work.
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 12:44:11 AM »

It is just called milk fever, is because of a mineral deficiency, an IV solution will get her right back up. I have never seen it before they calve, but it can happen. How close is she to calving? You can wash up and reach in to know if her cervix is dialated and  if so maybe you can pull it. I have a book on this stuff, will try and find yo a copy, if you are going into the calving stuff you will have fun with it.

Daniel Rohde (D-Vision)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 02:55:53 AM »

We have had a few cow have milk fever...we usually have to give them a calcium injection and they are usually fine.

Consistent, Repeatable Performance is the goal
http://www.rohdeedge.com/
TomWhite

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 09:19:17 AM »

Thanks, the vet gave her an injection yesterday.  She was probably about a week away when all this started.  We have had beef cattle for 50 years or so, first one down like this in about 10 years.  I hope we wont have to pull the calf.
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 03:48:36 PM »

Good luck. I most sincerely hope all is well, old cows become great friends, I miss calving time most for it is the best of times.

TomWhite

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 01:00:57 PM »

Five on the ground so far.  All bulls.  We lost the cow that I posted earlier but saved the calf, a bum, no less.  My brother-in-law runs a dairy farm so the calf will be raised with Holsteins.    The calf may have a later life identity crisis, (we have Black Angus), when he gets put back in our pasture.  Thanks for the  help and suggestions.  I believe winter is almost over here, but it is 20 this morning.  It is still cold.  The knife surely holds up, I hesitate to dig in frozen mud, and I hope that I don't have to.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:09:24 PM by TomWhite » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: