Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fine Grain in another venue  (Read 943 times)
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2014, 02:27:04 AM »

In the latest issue of Guns and Ammo Magazine i read that Sako is sending ammo our way.

"Sako updated it already excellent ammo...... It took a look at the brass commonly used in cartridge-case production and decided to make it better. By eliminating tin, bismuth and lead from the brass, the company achieved a much smaller grain structure and established a more predictable fatigue cycle. the smaller grains make for  more brass, so there is less variation i case weight and volume.  Consistent case volume is an important first step in uniform velocities. Other aspect is that primer pockets are less likely to leak under high pressure and will stay uniform longer when reloaded. ..........The cases also last longer than other mass-produced cases."

It seems that fine grain structure is of benefit in another venue, I found this interesting.    

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
ChrisAnders
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 04:44:01 PM »

As a general rule, finer grain structures are generally desirable for strength, durability, and/or fatigue applications at room temperature.  As temperatures go up, the grains need to be larger or strength will go down.  This is important for components intended for use in elevated temperature environments.  Larger grains are desirable for high ductility at room temperature, creep resistance and strength at high temperature, and some other relatively specialized applications.  Large grain or small grain size are not bad or good until you decide what you want the material to do.  I've heard of room temperature applications where grains as  large as 1" in diameter are acceptable, though in that case they aren't really avoidable either. 
John Silveira
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 08:06:10 PM »

well i wish they'd sell 25-20 brass . I could use about 5,000 cases (=   

Only at 1,750 at the moment - i think there's gona be alot more zombies that that in my area when the SHTF !!!

Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: