Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rope Cutting Tests and Results  (Read 825 times)
ChrisAnders
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2014, 06:54:12 PM »

How many cuts in rope are considered good performance?  How does one know when to stop?  Are we trying to use the same rope so we can all compare, or is it just a relative thing among the knives that an individual makes?  Any set angle or grit to finish the edge?  Any set thickness at the top of the edge/sharpened bevel?    

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 07:26:19 AM »

I have a reference knife, it is the standard to which test blades are compared. Cut with it, then cut with your test blade and compare the results.

I only compete with myself, this testing allows me to know the level of performance of my test blade compared to my standard. When I purchase test rope I buy a single roll and usually its resistance to cut is very uniform from start until I run out of rope, then buy another roll. After 45 years of testing I usually have a good idea as to a blades performance after 100 cuts.

I stop when I believe I know. If there is any question I will continue testing until I am satisfied.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Joe Calton
Administrator
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »

I get my rope from homedepot, in full rolls of the 3/4" manila. it is about the most abrasive rope that I have found, and use one lay out of it.

I always use a smiths or dmt diamond hone in the coarse grit which is supposed to be around 325 grit for rope testing. a fresh hone will make a coarser edge than one that has been used for a couple months and has been broken in.

I cut on a bathroom scale, and stop when the difference in force from the first cut is 10 lbs. so if the first cut takes 5lbs, and the 200th cut is 10 lbs, I stop there.

Performance Above All Else!!

http://caltoncutlery.com/home.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: