Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Temper lines  (Read 1648 times)
Any 22
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2014, 12:46:44 AM »

I am presently working on a bowie style knife of 5160  getting close to hardening stage. I have always used a straight temper line but those wavy lines sure look good. my problem is I cant get it out of my head that that wavy line is going to cause stress problems . Can someone weigh in on this. second question is how do you get the same line on both sides DO YOU?? never really inspected one that close. probably all trivial questions but thats what its all about to me any way.Is their an actual performance advantage in either one??    

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 02:33:27 PM »

I tried the wavy lints and did not like the results, to me they are simply cosmetic and may not reveal the true nature of the steel below the surface.

Getting both sides the same is one of our challenges, the better your methods the more they will be the same. When we bend a knife back and forth until it breaks we can look at the separation and know how exact our methods were. You want to see uniform grain on both sides of the blade, one side a mirror image of the other. Exact Bi lateral symmetry never occurs in nature, the more human we put into our blades the more dynamic our blades, minor differences are to be expected, how much they influence the blades performance is what matters.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
wnelson aka. dedox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 03:19:10 PM »

Nicely said, Ed.

"The enemy has only images and illusions behind which he hides his true motives. Destroy the image, and you will break the enemy."-Bruce Lee

?Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.?
― Albert Einstein
Joe Calton
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 05:14:51 PM »

with 1095 I have had good luck getting the wavy lines by moving the blade forward and back in the oil while edge quenching, like you are trying to saw cut through the regulating plate. the hardening lines were wavy, but not extreme like some you see, mostly straight, with just some wave to them.

I have not tested one with wavy lines vs one with straight ones.

both sides usually match pretty well doing it this way.

I bet if you did the same thing with 5160 or 52100 you could get the same thing

Performance Above All Else!!

http://caltoncutlery.com/home.html
Any 22

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 10:15:50 PM »

Thanks gentlemen you have persuaded to stay with straight hardening lines . Seems kinda like the curl in the pigs tail cute but dont make the bacon taste any better
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 03:35:54 AM »

I do believe you got it, perfect description!

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: