Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pyrometer  (Read 940 times)
Robertv6
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2007, 08:37:28 PM »

Hey guys,
Question.....In the effort of trying to eliminate variable in forging process, i think to get a pyrometer to see at what temp i am forging.  I cannot trust my eyes, so a magenet always tells me if im at critical or not.  Ed mentioned soaking 52100 for a few minutes at 1800 till the steel get to where you can move it more easily. I found an analog pyrometer that goes to 2500f for 65 bucks. It has also the thermocouple with it.  Its new, but it says it has a accuracty of + or - 5%. at 2000 degrees, that 100 deg variance.  Im ok with that i think, cause i can err on the low side, run the forge at 1700 and at worse case scenario, i might be a tad under 1800.  My question is does anyone else here use one to tell them the temp of their forge?  Are you using analog or digital?  Pros or cons?  Whats good for the money?  I saw some optical pyrometers, but they are real pricey.  I just want a reasonably accurate pyrometer that will tell me a heck of alot more than the guessing im now doing.

thanks

Alan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 01:50:34 AM »

Can you tell me at what temp 52100 becomes non-magnetic?

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 05:19:27 PM »

1,535 is the usual temp. It can and does vary with chemistry and the thermal cycles the steel has known. Not much but a little.  I picked up an optical pyrometer and used it for a while. It provided confirmation of where we were. It did not take long and it did not provide much information I could not predict.

I guess what I am trying to say, the pyrometer was a valuable asset at the time, but I loaned it out a year ago and have not missed having it. What it did was confirm what I hoped and gave me some numbers for refference. What really matters is magnetic vs non magnetic and how the steel moves under my hammer. Some claim that the magnet is not scientific enough, but for the bladesmith who pays attention to his steel and tests the resultant blade by performance it is plenty good enough. We can easily spend a lot of money purchasing stuff to satisfy some critics, and still not develop a better blade. 

As a metafor: My doc stated I needed a hearing aid today. He suggested a place where I could get one for around $6,000. I told him that I doubted that any conversation I could have would be worth $6,000. The last journal of my friend Henry David Throeau only cost me $200 and I have learned a great deal from visiting with him and have not had to say "what?" even once.

We can learn about blades from the steel if we can learn to listen to her song.

I don't mean to talk you out of getting what ever you need to learn, it will build confidence and enhance communication with others.

Let your quest for information lead you where you will go.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Robertv6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 07:09:36 PM »

Ed,
Its just that i have absolutely no idea at what temp my forge is running.  The elimination of variables is what i am trying to do right now.  I run my forge rich, to keep the scale down and am trying to forge at lower temps.  I notice that the scale thats left around the anvil is smaller than it use to be, so i think im working the steel at lower temps.  I can still leave a piece in there long enough and make a sparkler out of it.  I want to get an idea of its max temp, then turn it down, so that no matter how hot it gets in there, it isnt over 1800 degrees.  Hence the reason for the pyrometer.  I think im going to try the analog one ive found, it may be the best 69 bucks ive spent in a while.

thanks

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: