Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A video of me cutting some rope (Hebrew audio...sorry :))  (Read 2425 times)
Guy Gitelis
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2014, 10:17:25 AM »

cuts like a dream and does not want to stop Smiley    

Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 08:07:40 AM »

That is great, you have mastered the art of cutting rope, it is very easy to trim fingernails while cutting rope as you noted.
You have definitely been testing for cut for some time, this is good. First naturally comes the ability to create a sharp knife that will hold an edge, then learn how to test it. Both require a lot of practice and you are there.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
John Silveira

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 09:47:28 AM »

good work
mreich

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 04:34:52 PM »

How many cuts did she make?

I've gone to cutting regular 1/2" rope instead of undoing a bigger rope. Regular rope holds its shape, so you don't have to work so hard on holding the rope. That's made a big difference for me. It's more expensive, but rope really isn't that expensive. I haven't actually calculated the cost, but I kinda doubt it's more than $1/100 cuts. With better rope you get more cuts per foot more easily.

I usually make a couple hundred cuts and see how the edge looks under 45x magnification. It should still be shaving sharp.

I've cut until blades stopped cutting well, but it usually takes 600-800 cuts when I've heat treated for maximum cut.

My arthritis just doesn't like to do that very often, and I have to spread it out over two or three days of making a hundred cuts, work for a while, then cut some more.

I've tested some of the new "super steels", and only M4 has beaten maximized 52100.
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 07:30:55 AM »

How well does M4 do on the flex, lateral strength and toughness?

Guy Gitelis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 11:14:07 AM »

in the video she cut 250 cuts of 12 mm rope and then 5 more 22 mm rope with no problem. i bet she could do double that before she stops.
mreich

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 11:25:10 AM »

I have a limited edition of M4 knives in the works. I'll have extra blades to grind differently that I will test to destruction.

It would be silly to do that to the M4 knives I've purchased. They are expensive, and not warranteed for abuse, so all I've tested is cut.

As far as I'm concerned, M4 is the highest performance Practical steel I've come across. It's easier to sharpen than CPM90 or M390 (both very high performance), and holds a wicked edge.
Ed Fowler
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 11:25:11 AM »

We are all free to make the knife of our choice.

I chose the kind of knife I wanted to make based solely upon my desire to make one that would stand up during the times I might really need a knife. This kind if knife is designed for much less than 5% of the knife market, I like it that way.

Since the 80's I have never sold a knife from a lot of steel that I have not tested a representative sample to destruction. This is because I want to know from my personal experience what the knife will do in order that I can tell my client what he can expect.

As long as we honestly advise our clients as to the true nature of the knife he has chosen, we have done our part. If all he wants is cut, and has no desire for lateral strength all is well and we test for cut only.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:30:09 AM by Ed Fowler » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: