Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Loveless design questions  (Read 941 times)
davidm
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2007, 01:32:31 PM »

Did Bob Loveless come up with his knife models following some other influences? .. what were they? How are the designs from a functional standpoint?   Newer makers following in his tradition, who are they.. how do they compare, what are they doing similar and different? 
David    

PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 04:03:11 PM »

I remember reading somewhere where a Loveless dropped point hunter was seen in a Renaissance painting. Now I don't remember seeing the painting and I can't provide a link to where I read about it, and I don't know if Bob Loveless ever saw it before he started making knives. I do think the lines of his knives are classic and practical, so it's possible the design has been around for a long time.

Many of the knife makers I know have a version of a Loveless style knife in their earlier made knives. Who makes knives in the Loveless style, well the list is endless. SR Johnson, Ricardo Villarde, Dietmar Kressler, George Herron (and all of his prot?g? ) the list goes on and on. I think the only maker allowed to use the Loveless logo is Mike Lovett. I think Mike Lovett's knives are the most faithful to the Loveless knife, but the other makers all bring something special to their renditions.

I scratched my Loveless itch with a GenO Denning Dropped Point Hunter:

a Bobby Branton Boot Knife:

even a Cold Steel Black Bear Classic (rehandled in stag):

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 06:47:18 PM by PhilL » Logged

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

davidm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 06:27:30 PM »

Hi Phil,
and thanks for the info.  Never would have guessed a Renaissance painting..  I once handled a Dietmar Kressler knife at a show, seeing them sell for big bucks got me curious.  When I picked it up, the precision of it was the immediate thing I noticed.  Impressive, especially in the details. 
David

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: