Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: how to test different aspects of our blades and heat treat  (Read 350 times)
Daniel Rohde (D-Vision)
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2014, 03:11:51 AM »

I think that's the longest title I have ever had!

Any way.....so  I was thinking about annealing temperature lately and how to find the optimal temperature for the steel your working with,so first off, how would you find it for your kiln and second for your steel?

My other question is if I'm trying to test some subtleties with 52100 like if I wanted to test the difference in different annealing temps can I use flat stock and grind my knives out of that instead of forging a couple blades for it, so I don't have any variance in the forging process(i.e amount of hit amount of heats....)(plus it would save time)?

I guess what I'm getting at is If I tested 52100 stock removal blade and found out some thing about it would it still hold true with a forged 52100 blade?

How detailed of variance can we effectively test? Like is there a way of knowing that when you test something and it cuts better that it wasn't just a better sharpening job?

Thanks..?.these are probably kind of hard questions to answer

Daniel Rohde    

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 04:32:12 PM by D-Vision » Logged

Consistent, Repeatable Performance is the goal
http://www.rohdeedge.com/
Dennis Mashburn
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 03:56:52 PM »

Daniel
I can't answer your questions, although I think forging can change/help things.  (if done correctly)  I theory if you found an improvement for stock removal it would be all the better for a forged blade.  However let's let the experts answer that.

I just want so say I really like your thinking, questions and enthusiasm for making the best blade you can.  It also encourages me.  Keep up the good work.

"Saying guns kill people is like saying pencils cause mis spelled words."
                                                         Larry the Cable Guy
It's hard to soar with the Eagles when you work with a flock of Turkeys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: