Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dye for Epoxy  (Read 862 times)
Daniel Rohde (D-Vision)
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:43:17 AM »

Can I use plain acrylic paint for dyeing my epoxy when gluing up handles?
Thanks
DR.....    

Consistent, Repeatable Performance is the goal
http://www.rohdeedge.com/
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 10:20:05 AM »

The dies I use for my epoxy (always Acra Glass) come form Brownells and are "Water Soluable", a little goes a long way and they work well together. They have a good selection of colors and for those who know colors have a lot to work with.

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
Joe Calton
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 10:57:07 AM »

I have used alcohol based leather dyes a couple times, with gflex. it seems to work ok, and I haven't seen any reduction in strength.

the reason I used the alchol based dye was in the hope that the alcohol would evaporate and leave just they dye in the epoxy.

Performance Above All Else!!

http://caltoncutlery.com/home.html
mreich

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 07:06:25 PM »

Thanks
DR.....

It's best to use the actual pigment they use to tint paint. Any paint store will give you a drop of half a dozen colors for free. It barely takes any to tint your epoxy.

I've taken pieces of aluminum foil and made little "cups" simply by forming the foil over the end of a 3/8" wood dowel.

You want to take something that is easy for them to put the pigment in, and will seal up nicely.   
John Silveira

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 12:22:25 AM »

Thanks
DR.....

It's best to use the actual pigment they use to tint paint. Any paint store will give you a drop of half a dozen colors for free. It barely takes any to tint your epoxy.

I've taken pieces of aluminum foil and made little "cups" simply by forming the foil over the end of a 3/8" wood dowel.

You want to take something that is easy for them to put the pigment in, and will seal up nicely.   

Was just reading this post - and the little zip lock bags - the ones that are barely an inch wide x maybe 2 inches tall ?   might be great to hold these sample pigments
mreich

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 01:29:28 PM »

That is a damn fine idea!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: