Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What Type of grinder to make?  (Read 491 times)
Daniel Rohde (D-Vision)
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2013, 07:14:56 PM »

So I'm about to start making a belt grinder and finally start making knives a little faster(and use some nicer belts) but I've been pondering over whether to build a three wheel Bader ( or

KMG)style grinder or a two wheel?

so what are some of your guy's opinions? I want to convex grind profile blades flatten scales and the side of blades which is basically what a two wheel does best,but I'd kind of like to have a

small fork arm and some of the other attachments that the others give( and the three wheel ones seem to have more options but harder to make)-so I'd love to hear your thoughts and 

opinions about it-if you would.

Thanks

DV...

Consistent, Repeatable Performance is the goal
http://www.rohdeedge.com/
John Silveira
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:10:26 PM »

i really don't have much of a clue on this ---  
i have a 2 wheel 4" belt x 36" for all the grunt work / profiling / taper tang and distals .  It seems to be getting the job done pretty well.

someone gave me a 3 wheel old Burr King i use for grinding bevels . All i've thought about doing to the burr king is modifying it to accept 72" belts instead of the 48" .  Better belts available at 72" it seems. however i wouldn't mind having an additional removable arm w/ small wheel ( one or two inch or so ) to do tight contours with so might work out a way to modify the Burr King for that.    Could you add a removable arm on a two wheel ?  don't really know.   shows you how ROOKIE i am.....  but seems if you COULD add an arm that works on a two wheel it'd be less expensive not having to buy the third wheel Huh   anyway - i'll be looking for others answers here ........

cheers  
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:37:12 PM by John Silveira » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: