Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Another blade tested to the limits  (Read 3255 times)
Butch Deveraux
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: May 20, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »

I recently attended the Montana Mountain Summit hosted by Steven Kelley of SK knives in Big Fork MT.  Steve had asked me to do a forging demonstration and talk about the ins and outs of 52100 and how I got my blades to perform the way that they do.  (Actually he called me and told me that I was committed to doing it since he'd already advertised that I was going to)  Shocked  I graciously accepted and looked forward to sharing what I know(however limited that is).

Steve asked me if I could forge a blade, heat treat it and then test it while at the 3 day event.  I chuckled and told him that just the heat treating alone took 6 days but that I had a blade already done that I could test to destruction for everyone to see.  I then went to my few blades that I have been trying desperately to finish for Blade Show only 6 weeks from then to see which one I would sacrifice. I chose a really nice 6" hunter that was pretested, etched and ready for a guard and handle.

At the Summit  I tried to give everyone a good overview of the methods that Ed Fowler has developed and the many years of experimenting and testing that has gone into the HEPK blade by both Ed and many other of his followers including myself.
I forged out a blade demonstrating the low temp forging and other important tips including the three 35 second quenches and flash normalizing.

After some discussion and lunch I brought out the blade that we were going to test and passed it around.  I explained the modified Michael Price grind that Ed has developed and how I feel the geometry enhances the strength and durability of the high performance blade. I even got a few offers from guys wanting me to finish it and sell it to them instead of destroying it.  I explained that I test every one of my blades by doing an edge flex and cut test before I finish them out.
 I expect my blades to withstand at least 6 complete edge flexes alternating from one side to the other without chipping out or rolling of the edge.   I then regrind that worked edge off and resharpen before performing a cut test on a piece of 3/4" hemp rope.  Once I am satisfied that the knife is going to perform to my standards then it will be finished to a completed knife. 

That particular knife had performed 8 edge flexes and I had done 100 cuts on the rope and it was still really crunching through the rope like it would never quit so it was ready to finish out.  Well now it was ready for some more testing and then flexing to destruction!

I did 300 cuts on the rope and it was still going strong. With the 100 that I'd done previously that was a total of 400 cuts.  I knew it would go 2-3 times that many but figured everyone didn't want to stand around watching me cut rope so we rigged up Steves' vise by tying it off to the back of my truck for the bending.  I utilized the jig that Ed has made for using a torque wrench to determine the actual lateral strength of a blade. 
  Everyone asked me how many times I thought it would flex before breaking and  how much torque it would take. I told them I would safely guess that it would do 12-14  180 degree bends after the initial first 90 degrees and guessed around 60-70ft.lbs of torque.

The first bend to 90 degrees took 70ft.lbs.  I turned the blade around and went 180 degrees at 65ft.lbs.  I had made 14 complete 180s and was asked if I was going to stop there.  I told them we'd go until she broke.  I passed the blade around and let everyone feel the heat generated in the blade from the flexing.

We measured the torque on every bend and it remained constant at 65 - 70ft.lbs  Finally, at 30 complete 180 degree bends and not a sign of a crack or stress riser I decided I would quit. The blade had begun to twist a bit upon bending I think due in part by the pull of the torque wrench being offset to the one side of the blade.

I bent the blade back straight however it still had the twist in it and we all marveled at how it had held up. And yes, even I was amazed that it had done 30 bends and not broken.
I hope that everyone there was able to gain some knowledge of the  high performance blade. 

I want to thank Steve Kelley and his lovely wife Malissa for hosting a great weekend of knifemaking experience and allowing me to share what I could with everyone.
I hope that I may be invited back for the next Summit!
Also thanks to all the other makers that were there and offered their expertise whether it was through a demonstration or discussion.

I hope that I may be invited back for the next Summit!

Butch Deveraux

Butch Deveraux Custom Knives
PO Box 1356
Riverton, WY 82501

Daniel Rohde (D-Vision)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 07:40:52 PM »

amazing testing I am really amazed at how well the guys on here can make there knives perform-I have allot to learn Wink

Consistent, Repeatable Performance is the goal
http://www.rohdeedge.com/
davidm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 08:35:19 PM »

Wow! Way to go Butch. I would have never imagined this level of extreme toughness possible.. That's incredible!! Unbelieveable.. I bet you left a lot of people speechless.
Congratulations! Smiley
RAD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 09:26:08 PM »

Good stuff Butch.
Steven is a great guy he just sent me a folder he made for me.
Butch Deveraux

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 10:00:47 PM »

Thanks guys. It was a great time doing the demonstration and boy am I glad that it didn't break on the first one or two. That would have been embarrassing... Embarrassed        Grin 

Good score on your new SK folder RAD.  Steve demonstrated how he makes them that weekend too and I really learned alot.  He is very meticulous and makes a great knife.  I hope I can score one one of these days Wink

Butch Deveraux

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 09:53:34 PM »

I will try to get some photos and maybe a video up of the testing of the knife.

Joe Calton
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 09:13:29 AM »

Nice Butch!!

always fun to test them to see how far they go, and to share that with a crowd must have been even better!!

Performance Above All Else!!

http://caltoncutlery.com/home.html
mreich

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »

Huge congratulations Butch!!

Sounds like an awesome demonstration!
Dennis Mashburn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 11:35:25 AM »

Nice Butch!  Very impressive.  All that extra work on the HT seems to pay off.  Bet you made a few more believers.

"Saying guns kill people is like saying pencils cause mis spelled words."
                                                         Larry the Cable Guy
It's hard to soar with the Eagles when you work with a flock of Turkeys.
PhilL
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 05:41:52 PM »

Butch that's great, we're all impressed just reading about it.
Of the people who saw your demonstration were there any that were not impressed?
Were there any "naysayers" among them?

You can have anything You want in Life, as long as you?re willing to pay the Price.
So, figure out what price there is to pay, and Pay It.

Vance Perkins

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 08:24:26 PM »

Butch,
This is very impressive..... I'd suggest bringing that knife to Blade next week!

Vance
mreich

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 10:18:49 PM »

Hey Butch,
I make a really good torque wrench jig that does not put any twist on the blade, and it's way easier to use than the one I'm going to replace Ed's with.

I'd make one for anyone who wants one. I don't intend to make money at it, I would rather do it to promote accurate testing. I think $5 would cover my costs.

100% satisfaction guaranteed. If you don't love it, you get your money back, period. You don't even have to send it back to me.

I only need to know what size your torque wrench lug you is. I'll bring them to Blade.
Butch Deveraux

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 10:50:14 PM »

Thanks everyone and glad you enjoyed the post. I will get the photos up soon. 
Yeah, I think it definitely made believers out of everyone there.  I didn't get any negative feedback from anyone there and they were all very appreciative that I did the demonstration.  As I said the whole weekend was a great time and met some great new friends
I will have the blade on my table and maybe even a video of the demonstration.  Looking forward to seeing everyone that will be there.

I would definitely be interested in one of your torque jigs.  My torque wrench is 1/2 drive.

You all may be interested in checking out the HT thread on bladeforums if you've been following the thread about Eds heat treat and freezer cycles.  I think I may have stirred the hornets nest a little but gave some valid points. 

Butch

Dennis Mashburn

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 07:49:22 AM »

I look forward to seeing the replies on BF after your post. 

Maybe we should pitch in and get the guys a box of kleenex in case he gets his feelings hurt.  I've heard he is very sensitive.  LOL

Again great job with the blade and the post.

"Saying guns kill people is like saying pencils cause mis spelled words."
                                                         Larry the Cable Guy
It's hard to soar with the Eagles when you work with a flock of Turkeys.
cdent

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 03:32:20 PM »

Hey Butch,

A little late to the show here, but Steve Kelly definitely puts on a great knife get together weekend. I think Steve would be more than willing to admit it's because of folks like Butch. Thanks for answering a bunch of questions. When I first said hi to Butch, I saw this big lab poking around and I kind of wondered to no one in particular if he retrieved ducks, and Butch says Ike sure does. Great people, great time, food and on and on.

Gotta say thanks to Butch, because I ended up winning a lucky drawing knife from him to help Steve out with expenses for his hammerin. Hats off though to turn around and donate another knife to support the folks who wear the uniform. No doubt to a bunch of folks who were there, that Butch's blade easily performed the way he explained that it did. My boy will get my Deveraux knife, but not just yet.

Thanks much Butch, see you at the next one, or maybe Ike's pup out in the marsh,   Craig
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: