Knife Talk Online Forums
  Home membership Help Search Calendar Members Classifieds Treasury Store Links Gallery Media Center Login Register  
Custom Search
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Leather Dressng for antique leather  (Read 1774 times)
Ed Fowler
Administrator
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: March 11, 2013, 02:04:15 PM »

I recently purchased a book titles "Confederate Bowie Knives" by Melton, Phillips and Sexton from Knife World Publications, it cost me around $60.00 and is a very good read for coming to understand condition of the south during the War of Northern Aggression (Civil War) and naturally Confederate Bowie Knives.

In the book they mentioned a product for preserving old leather, or in my case what is left of it. My Huber while in great condition ca,me with its original scabbard. The surface of the scabbard was flaking off and it was in very tough condition, but what leather over 181 years old without much care look a little rough?

The authors recommended a leather dressing called Pecard Leather Dressing. WWW.PECARD.COM. phone,1-800-467-5056. I immediately called them and was able to talk to a very knowledgeable individual who advised my which product they had that would suit the needs of the Huber Scabbard, he had more answers that I had questions, you don't find that kind of knowledge very often. I ordered some, it came today and my first coat is settling into the leather as we speak.

Usually I simply used neatness foot oil, which is what they used in the day to preserve leather, but I was hesitant to use it on one of the most expensive parts of my collection I have.

Will keep you advised as to its performance.    

Ed Fowler High Performance Knives
http://edfowler.com/
RAD
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 02:20:50 PM »

This is something I shall keep an eye on Ed.
I have a old leather scabbard for my Puma Bowie from the 50's that's in pretty rough shape .
This knife was given to me by my stepfather and she has been with me for over 40 yrs.
So keep us posted.
Daniel Rohde (D-Vision)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 04:47:47 PM »

hey I'd love to hear how the results come!! but I had a Q how do you currently finish your leather sheaths?

Consistent, Repeatable Performance is the goal
http://www.rohdeedge.com/
RAD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 05:24:39 AM »

I will let Ed tell you about his leather sheaths .
I can say as a person who carries one daily , well they just do not get any better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: